Maleficent (2014)

Genre

Director

Country

Cast
Angelina Jolie, Elle Fanning, Sharlto Copley, Lesley Manville, Imelda Staunton, Juno Temple, Sam Riley, Brenton Thwaites, Kenneth Cranham, Hannah New, Isobelle Molloy, Michael Higgins, Ella Purnell, Jackson Bews, Vivienne Jolie-Pitt

Plot
An elderly narrator tells the story of Maleficent (Angelina Jolie), a powerful fairy living in the Moors, a magical realm bordering a human kingdom. As a young girl, Maleficent (Isobelle Molloy) meets a young human boy, Stefan (Michael Higgins).
Their friendship, as they grow up, blooms in what Stefan calls "true love". 
When Stefan (Sharlto Copley) has the opportunity to become king, he doesn't hesitate to betray his beloved, unleashing her anger and plant for revenge. After baby Aurora, daughter of King Stefan and Queen, was born, Maleficent hurls the prophecy: on her sixteenth birthday, Aurora (Elle Fanning) will prick her finger on the spindle of a spinning wheel, which will cause her to fall into a deathlike sleep. 

Opinion
First of all it must be said that this is not the tale of the Sleeping Beauty, but that of Maleficent, though the narrator is Aurora. Cinematography is visionary and breathtaking. The director Robert Stromberg did an impressive job, reflecting the scenery with characters' emotions. Music is spot on special effects are wisely used.


Quotes
I will not ask you for forgiveness. What I have done is unforgivable. I was so lost in hatred and revenge. I never dreamed that I could love you so much. You stole what was left of my heart. And now I've lost you forever.

Rating
7.2/10

3 comments :

  1. I felt it rather tedious regardless of some good cinematography and effects. What I remember was a boring plot and annoying characters. The icing on the cake was the true love ending—discount Frozen ending... So in my opinion very overrated film.

    And some comments on the blog. I got here because this page was recommended as 'You might also like' (so I was curious enough to see your rating) and don't see any relation between this one and 'The Grand Budapest Hotel'. As I see, you are using some widget, but no sure if it's doing a good job and how selects the related articles.
    Also you might consider some editing older entries and make things across this blog with more... uhm... continuity... I've got the feeling of a bit different structure in older reviews. You might have evolved, developed, etc. so this doesn't mean rewriting old stuff, nevertheless you could add or edit the ratings at the end to be the same across the blog. Now I'm wondering if this 7,2/10 is your rating or an old IMDb rating and in other entries you use system completely different from the latest 5-star based rating system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologize for replying just now. The "you might also like" widget is apparently having some problems. It is supposed to show posts related between them based on the labels. I've written to the company that made the widget and they don't seem to care about the problem. I apologize for that. I'm working on changing all the ratings to 5 stars. And I'm also trying to kind of rewrite the old reviews. The problem is that I don't have all day and the review a day thing is already taking a lot of my free time. If this annoys you so much, I suggest you stop reading my blog.

      Delete
  2. No problem. My suggestions are part of the feedback you want to receive (or at least I think so). Little things that in my humble opinion may improve a little bit your blog. Also nobody expects miracles. You probably have around 500 entries, so editing even a little bit of them is not an easy task and even more when it's a hobby.

    Honestly not surprised with the attitude that company shows...

    Spero che tu abbia un buon giovedì!

    ReplyDelete