Thursday Movie Picks: Halloween Edition: Creature/Monster Features


Welcome to Thursday Movie Picks, a weekly series hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves where each Thursday you have to pick three films to match the week's topic.

Welcome to another Halloween themed week that is all about weird creatures and monsters. There's one rule though, they can't be aliens, vampires, zombies or werewolves. Does it make any harder to pick three films? Not at all, because it's plenty of cinematic monsters and today I've picked three of my favourites, all coming from the horror world. Here they are:

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Nancy and her friends are haunted by Freddy Krueger, a serial killer that goes around killing people in their dreams. I'm pretty sure you know who the monster is here, but just in case you don't, he is ugly, wears a red and black striped pullover and has blades instead of fingers. Yep, it's Freddy. And unlike most slasher, this film is also creepy and very effective.

Pan's Labyrinth (2006)

Set in Spain during WWII, young Ofelia "discovers" a mysterious labyrinth and meets a faun who sets her on a path to save herself and her mother. Nope, the faun isn't the monster, but the pale man is, an horrible creature capable of horrible things. Just don't eat his food. And kudos to del Toro for making this. 

Cloverfield (2008)

During a party, lights go out and the ground begins to shake. Having no idea of what is going on, a group of friends leave the apartment and tries to stay safe. Kind of. Who's making all that mess and eventually behead the Statue of Liberty? A cool monster that comes from only god knows where. And now that I think about it, it could be an alien. Nah, it's definitely a monster. Like Godzilla. 

5 comments :

  1. I love all three of your picks. I went the bad movie route this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cara Sonia, non ho visto nessuno di questi film, ma credo che siano veramente belli, da vedere.
    Ciao e buona serata, con un abbraccio e un sorriso:) sorridere fa bene!
    Tomaso

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not seen any of the Nightmare movies because they look too scary for me. Pan's Labyrinth is brilliant and that scene is nightmarish. Cloverfield scared the hell out of me especially when their one friend became a host-ick

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard good things about Pan's Labyrinth and Cloverfield but haven't watched neither of them... yet. I will some day, I'm sure of it! I mean, I watche 10 Cloverfield Lane, so I mean, I should watch the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very inspired choice going with Freddy. My mind went straight to non-humanoid monsters. It's a true genre masterpiece, so I'm not complaining. Love the other two movies, as well.

    ReplyDelete