Wilson (2017)

Genres

Comedy, Drama

Director

Craig Johson

Country

USA

Cast

Woody Harrelson, Laura Dern, Isabella Amara, Judy Greer, Cheryl Hines, Margo Martindale, David Warshofsky, Brett Gelman, Mary Lynn Rajskb, Lauren Weedman

Storyline

A lonely, neurotic middle-aged man (Woody Harrelson) reunites with his estranged wife (Laura Dern) and meets the teenage daughter (Isabella Amara) he didn't know he had. 

Opinion

I have to say that the quite negative reviews almost had me change my mind, but I eventually watched this film, and it isn't as bad as I thought. Although it isn't either the quirky comedy it tries to be, Wilson still is an enjoyable dramedy.

The story is very simple and short, so short that maybe it should have been adapted into a short film, not in a feature length, it is incredibly rushed at times, especially in the final part, and it's basically that type of story that isn't really a story but more like a series of events happening to the same guy - and I'm starting to think that's actually normal since the movie is named after him - and yet it's interesting and engaging.

Then there's the main character, Wilson. He is a flawed, frustrating and unlikable character but thanks to Woody Harrelson's solid performance - he nails all the shades of this neurotic man -, this Wilson guy is more likeable and after all, it isn't even that bad to spend an hour and a half with him.

Sure, it would have been a lot better if the rest of the characters were actually characters - they are just flat plot devices. And it would have been way better if the film was actually funny. Most of the attempts at humour fall flat. I like sarcasm. I'm a sarcastic person and I just hate when people don't get it. Wilson's sarcasm, I barely got it. I haven't laughed more than a couple of times.

2 comments :

  1. I didn't even hear of it and I thought there was a movie about the boring president:) I might like it...not sure even though I like Woody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know there was a president Wilson. Well, I've learnt something

      Delete