The Beguiled (2017)

Genre

Drama

Director

Sofia Coppola

Country

USA

Cast

Colin Farrell, Nicole Kidman, Kirsten Dunst, Elle Fanning, Angourie Rice, Oona Laurence, Emma Howard, Addison Riecke

Storyline

A wounded Union soldier (Colin Farrell) arrives at a girls' school in Virginia and, as they tend to his injuries and provide him refuge until he recovers, the ladies start vying for his attention which leads to jealousy and betrayal.


Opinion
I wasn't very interested in seen The Beguiled to begin with, and if it wasn't for Colin Farrell - and the fact that IT still isn't in theatres in my part of the world - I probably wouldn't have seen it and it would have been for my best because this film was only a waste of money and time. I would have never expected something this bland and tedious from Sofia Coppola, which makes me the one really beguiled here.

Althgouh the trailer didn't really convince me, I have to admit that I was kind of intrigued by the storyline. Unfortunately, what could have been an interesting study of sexuality and how a man can change the dynamics in a house full of women turned out to be flat and a little nonsense, mainly because of all the plot holes.

In addition, the film also lacks solid characters. They all are pretty weak, they lack development and it's hard to care for any of theme. At first, I kind of felt sorry for the soldier, but then I just didn't care anymore. I only felt sorry for Colin Farrell who had no chance to develop the character. Also, all the things these characters make are quite stupid. 

Another problem with The Beguiled is that it lacks tension. There is absolutely no sexual tension between the characters.

On the other hand, it's very beautiful to look at. The cinematography is great. Too bad it's the only aspect of the film having dark tones. And the costumes and sets are very accurate and mesmerizing. Unfortunately, this wasn't enough to make me appreciate this film.

I have a question for you, should I watch the version with Clint Eastwood?


1 comment :

  1. I don't care for Clint Eastwood as an actor so I never bothered with the original. I liked this one enough, though it was slow and I think Elle Fanning was very miscast.

    ReplyDelete