Saw V (2008)

Althgouh the entries weren't dreadful, the Saw franchise has been slowly getting worse, film after film. With Saw V, it hits the bottom. I'm pretty sure the following entries will be even worse than this one though.

Following the events of Saw IV, detective Mark Hoffman (Costas Mandylor) is commended as a hero. Special agent Peter Strahm (Scott Patterson), however, is suspicious of him because his assistant agent Lindsay Perez said Hoffman's name and looks into Hoffman's past. Meanwhile, a group of five people is put through a series of gruesome tests.

I've seen this film once before, but I didn't remember anything about it but one of Jigsaw's traps (which are all terrible, by the way). Still, forgettable is the kindest thing I can say about this film's plot. It's truly horrifying but not in the way a horror should be. It makes no sense whatsoever, it jumps like a damn kangaroo, it's boring as there are no twists (I still can't believe I've seen a Saw movie without a twist at the end) and, most of all, it doesn't add absolutely anything the series.

Lionsgate Films
The characters are horrible as well. They are just a bunch of random people with no characterization whatsoever. We, the audience, know absolutely nothing about them, therefore it's impossible to develop some sort of attachment to them and you don't simply care about who lives and who dies. Actually, I hoped they could all die right away so the film could end. Tobin Bell's Jigsaw is no longer around and you can feel that. 

Another problem with Saw V is that it falls flat as a horror movie. Not only the film lacks tension and suspense, it's not even scary. It's just bland. I didn't think I'd say this about a Saw movie, but the gore is terrible. Actually, where was the gore? I don't think the shaky camera qualifies as such. 

No comments :

Post a Comment