The Greatest Showman (2017)

I had no interest whatsoever in watching The Greatest Showman since I'm not that big of a fan of musicals, but I had no plans for yesterday, Christmas day, so I decided to spend the afternoon in the theatre and I picked this one because of the cast. I didn't have high expectations or anything, I was just hoping to be entertained that's what musicals are supposed to do, in my opinion. And, in spite of its flaws, that's what it did.

The story is that of PT. Barnum (Hugh Jackman), an ambitious and visionary showman who, after his initial idea of opening a museum turned out to be a fiasco, had the idea of creating a new form of entertainment involving peculiar individuals, in other words, modern-day circus.

And that's the problem with The Greatest Showman, the story. First of all, the plot is rather thin and the development leaves a lot to be desired. The subplots are a mess and that's for two reasons, they are clichéed and they aren't explored at all (the romance between Philipp Carlyle, a rich white man, and Anne Wheeler, a black trapezist, deserved a lot more, and that predictable love triangle was pathetic). 

Then, there's too much dramatization. I didn't know the story prior seeing this so I don't know how accurate and faithful the film was (apparently, it's a very loose adaptation) but I could sense things weren't portrayed as they were. It seemed as if it was all roses and the problems and conflicts were solved way too easily.

The characters are another weak element. Just like the plot, they aren't given a proper development. Actually, most of them have no development at all. And no characterization whatsoever. They are physically unique but they don't have a personality and we get to know absolutely nothing about them. However, they are very likeable and the credits for that entirely go to the cast who does wonders as most give energetic and effective performances (Michelle Williams who plays Barnum's wife was forgettable though, and Rebecca Ferguson, well, I don't get why she was cast since she didn't even do her own singing). 

20th Century Fox
The performances aren't the only great thing about The Greatest Showman. The film is also visually stunning. It's shot very well and it's very colourful but the costumes and sets make the greatest visual impact. 

And at last my favourite thing about this film, the hypnotic musical numbers. The dancing is wonderfully choreographed, and the songs are great and beautifully performed (Hugh Jackman is great, but the standout was Keala Settle as the bearded lady for me) and they are the soul of the movie. It's through them that the film conveys all of its emotions and messages (like a clichéed and yet great message of accepting yourself for who you are). This is what makes the film entertaining and what filled me with joy.

13 comments :

  1. I really do love musicals but this one doesn't look that great. I will probably check it out eventually because like you, I love the cast. I'm glad to hear it isn't completely awful though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love musicals and I love Hugh Jackman so this is one I want to see. As for someone not singing...look up Marni Nixon, the go to gal for dubbing actresses who could not sing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But it makes no sense! They should cast people who can sing for musicals. Or at least try, like Stone and Gosling in La La Land.

      Delete
  3. Eccomi! :) Sono assolutamente d'accordo con te: un musical rutilante e colorato, intriso di buoni sentimenti (e quindi perfetto per le feste) ma piuttosto povero dal punto di vista strettamente artistico: la trama è davvero esile e i numeri musicali molto ordinari (del resto i parolieri sono gli stessi di "La La Land", altro film che non aveva certo nei canzoni il suo punto di forza).
    Però, va detto, un merito ce l'ha: quello di diffondere un bel messaggio di libertà e democrazia, e vedere la diversità come arricchimento e non motivo di preoccupazione...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ciao Sonia! :D
    L'ho visto giusto ieri sera: non credevo ma.. mi è piaciuto molto più delle aspettative! Ne parlerò a breve ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goddammit, when will they give Rebecca something decent to do at last? :/

    I have to see it, cause Hugh, but yeah it's insanely whitewashed when you read about what his character did

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked it up. Now I feel bad for liking him in the movie.

      Delete
  6. It had its faults, but I loved this one despite all of that. Glad you found enjoyment out of it all the same. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice review! I love musicals, but just not in a big rush to see it right now. It's nice to read that it's not too bad. :D

    ReplyDelete