Exit Through the Gift Shop (2010)

Though I love graffitis and I often take pictures when I see some pretty good ones, I know absolutely nothing about street art. Those beanies with "Obey" written on them? I had absolutely no idea a street artist made them --the same guy who made those famous Obama posters, by the way-- I just assumed it was some expensive brand. So that's one of the things I learned watching Exit Through the Gift Shop.

But mostly, I learnt about the story of Thierry Guetta, a French immigrant in Los Angeles whose obsession with filming literally every single moment of his day brought him first to meet some of the most famous street artists, Shepard Fairey (the Obey/Obama guy) and Banksy, and later to become a street artists himself. 

Made by Banksy himself, I don't know how much of the story told in this documentary is actually true or if it is just Banksy trying to be in the spotlight while acting like he wants to avoid the spotlight, and feeding/growing the mystery that surrounds him. What I know is that, real or not, Exit Through the Gift Shop works. It works because it's put together in a way that is provocative and charming but most of all highly entertaining.

But that's not all. This documentary poses some pretty interesting questions about art. What is art really? What does it mean to people? How does it make people feel? But most important, what is talent? 

Revolver Entertainment, Producers Distribution Agency

Arguably the most interesting aspect of Exit Through the Gift Shop is its subject, Thierry Guetta. This character, whether real or a work of fiction, is absolutely ridiculous. He definitely has some sort of obsessive-compulsive disorder if not a mental illness --a guy who records everything on tapes, only to pile them up in his basement to never watched them sure has some kind of problem--, but he is such an intriguing and entertaining personality, and that's mostly because, just like Tommy Wiseau, he takes himself and all the stuff he does very seriously. And it's through Thierry Guetta that Banksy successfully shows that, sometimes, drive is more important than talent when it comes to art. 

10 comments :

  1. Nice review! I recall thinking similarly how I couldn't wrap my head around a lot of what I was seeing watching this, and wasn't entirely convinced that it was all indeed factual. Still though, a fun ride while it lasts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is probably the one documentary I'll remember longest because of that. They played it well.

      Delete
  2. For me, this is one of the best docs I had ever seen as it really showed the world of street art as well as what Banksy does. It also showed how someone who was documenting everything suddenly becoming an artist in his own right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not one of the best I've seen, but it's definitely a great one.

      Delete
  3. I saw it and enjoyed it, but this is one that I'll want to watch again. Though I don't remember much about the film I do know that right after watching it I called my oldest and youngest daughters to recommend it to them since they are both very artistically involved.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would want to see this and see if I think the same about this being a true story or not. I love art but I am not one for a splash of paint and then calling it art or having a white canvas with a red dot. As for street art, it depends what it is but graffiti can be quite striking and I usually like it quite a bit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree on that! I don't understand how so many people see art in that stuff. Van Gogh. Picasso. That's art. Not that modern rubbish everyone does nowadays.

      Delete
  5. Great review! I thought this was a really interesting documentary. I liked the way they shot it.

    ReplyDelete