Lootera (2013)

Lootera is one of the many Indian films Sid suggested me. I usually like the stuff --movies and TV series-- he suggests and therefore I had quite high expectations for this film. I guess there's always a first time for everything as this film turned out to be a disappointment. 

In 1953 India, Pakhi (Sonakshi Sinha), the feisty and only daughter of the local Zamindar (Barun Chanda), falls in love with Varun (Ranveer Singh), an archaeologist who went to her village to excavate her old family temple in search of a lost civilization. But Varun hides a secret that could drive them apart. 

Inspired by O. Henry's short story The Last Leaf, the plot of this film is simple and predictable --you can tell right from the start that the love story will not end well-- but most of all, uninteresting and didn't keep me that engaged. I didn't care about the romance at all nor about the twists and turns the story takes.

The main characters were another problem. They just aren't that interesting. Pakhi seems to be that kind of girl who falls in love with the first new person in town, and Varun, well, there's nothing great nor redeeming about him. They eventually get a little better but at the point, it was just too late to care. 

And the acting, it was disappointing too. I saw Ranveer Singh in Padmaavat not long ago and I really enjoyed his over-the-top performance. Here, he is not always convincing and his performance as Varun, a man with a dark secret, is barely decent. Sonakshi Sinha, who I have not seen before, gives a stronger performance as Pakhi but she's not enough to save the movie. 

Balaji Motion Pictures
Especially when said movie fails pretty much under every aspect. To the not so elaborate script and the average acting, add the slow pacing --that almost made me give up on this-- and the score which is beautiful and soulful at times, but doesn't fit at all at others. However, costumes and cinematography are very beautiful. 

3 comments :

  1. Five years after the release of this movie, and you came up with this. Next time you write a review, please ensure that you don't write such a generic one. This is a classic movie. If you have to criticize it, then you have to come up with some valid points. I don't care about whether you cared about the love story, I would like to know why you didn't care. Just because someone has a blog, that doesn't make that person a esteemed critic. There are millions of such critics all over internet, especially at YouTube. So in order to make yourself credible, try to do better. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never said I'm an esteemed critic. I am just a person who shares her thoughts on movies online. Blogger is the word you should have gone for. As for the review itself, I'm sorry it is not up your alley but if I wrote such a generic review is because I didn't have much to say, and I didn't want to work a lot of time on a film that, for me, didn't deserve the effort.

      Delete
    2. No, I am sorry. I lost my cool when I saw one of my all time favorite movies getting bashed. I think I became unnecessarily rude and could have been more polite. My apologies if I have hurt you. However, my opinion about this review will remain same though- that it is generic and kind of unreliable. ��

      Delete