Ocean's Eight (2018)

Ocean's Eleven is one of my favourite heist films ever. It's fun, entertaining, clever and the chemistry between the actors, it is simply wonderful. That's what I was hoping I would find in Ocean's Eight, the all-female spin-off of Ocean series. Unfortunately, it wasn't nearly as good as the "original" (in case you didn't know, Soderberg's film is a remake of a 1960 film, also named Ocean's Eleven, starring Frank Sinatra).

Newly released from prison, Debbie Ocean (Sandra Bullock), the young sister of Danny Ocean, puts in motion her five-year-in-the-making plan: she is going to get Cartier to lend a $150 million diamond necklace to a vain actress, Daphne Kluger (Anne Hathaway), for the exclusive Met Gala where she is going to pluck it off the actress's neck. To pull off the heist, she assembles a team of talented women.

The plot is pretty much garbage. It's often implausible and it is filled with gigantic holes. What's worse though is that it's not exciting nor that entertaining as it lacks suspension and surprises --there are twists, but they couldn't get more predictable-- and because of that, it ends up being quite boring to follow. It is simply too straightforward for me to really enjoy it --I love my heist movie guys to struggle a little, but everything goes according to plan here.

Another problem with Ocean's Eight is that it lacks interesting characters. They are just heist movie stereotypes and as such, they have no depth whatsoever. We don't get their background stories --what is all that sexual tension between Sandra Bullock's Debbie and Cate Blanchett's Lou about?-- and they lack strong motivations.

Warner Bros. Pictures
Then there's the cast. Some of the women in the film can't even act --Rihanna and Mindy Kaling-- and most of those who can do a terrible job. I love Sandra Bullock and the chemistry she has with Cate Blanchett is amazing, but she is kind of a boring lead. Anna Hathaway and Helena Bonham Carter do a pretty good job though, respectively as the vain actress and her quirky designer. Carter stole the scene every time she was on screen for me. James Corden is pretty good too. He basically plays himself only with another name --he's not an actor, after all-- but he is the one, the only one, who delivers the humour in the final part of the film.

Despite the poor writing and the mediocre to say the least acting, Ocean's Eight doesn't qualify as the worst film of the year. Although the humour is flat at times, there are several humorous moments that will keep you interested, and to watch the heist being pulled off was entertaining despite the lack of tension.

8 comments :

  1. oww! I liked it better than you did. Anne Hathaway was amazing though and I agree Carter stole the scenes she was in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This might be my favourite performance from Hathaway.

      Delete
  2. This was an average movie, far below O11 and 12, but better than 13. My only disagreement is on the cast. I thought they were all pretty good. They were so poorly conceived and written characters there just wasn't much they could do with them. The only I didn't really like was, surprisingly, Blanchett. Her whole performance felt like a bad Brad Pitt impersonation. I do agree Hathaway and Carter were the standouts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on what you said about Blanchett. Not so much about this being better than 13. I liked that one a bit more than this. And I kinda hated 12.

      Delete
  3. I still plan on seeing this when it's on TV though I'm in no rush to see it as I'm a fan of the franchise. Plus, I just want to see Queen Anne act like a bitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're going to love her! She is amazing in this!

      Delete
  4. Why must they make strong women lesbians or at least hint at it? Why can’t they just be great friends? You don’t see sexual tension between Clooney and Pitt. I think it’s high time they show some sexual tension between Stallone and Schwarzenegger or Clooney and Pitt..you get the picture. I will see this one day but I had a feeling it wasn’t all that great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right, it's so annoying! They keep doing this shit because of the male audience.

      Delete