The Conjuring 2 (2016)

If you have read yesterday's review then you already know that The Conjuring blew me away. I don't remember the last time a movie scared me that much. Actually, I don't believe it ever happened. That, the recurring cast, Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga, and the recurring director, James Wan, set my hopes pretty high for The Conjuring 2.

Just like the previous film, this one too is based on true events and follows Ed (Patrick Wilson) and Lorraine Warren (Vera Farmiga) as they travel to London, England, where a single mother, Peggy Hodgson (Frances O'Connor), and her four children are being haunted by an unknown, evil entity who eventually posses the second oldest daughter, Janet (Madison Wolfe).

And just like in The Conjuring, the plot is a chaotic mess. Once again we have the typical haunted house storyline, and then a subplot involving another demonic presence --the nun tormenting the Warrens as opposed to Annabelle. There's a quite brilliant twist at the end though that connects the various plot elements and makes the plot, specifically the ending, work better than it did in the first time. Unfortunately, unlike the first time, the story wasn't compelling enough to keep me interested, and by the time the twist came, I was bored out of my mind.

The characters are still pretty good though. Just like its predecessor, The Conjuring 2 takes the time needed to build and develop its characters and the result is likeable and believable characters we care about and root for.

And once again the cast does a good job. Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga are both great as Ed and Lorraine and their great chemistry really makes the film work as the film heavily relies on their characters' relationship. Also, Wilson sings an Elvis song and he is amazing. However, it's Madison Wolfe who stands out with her vulnerable and frightening performance as Janet.

Warner Bros. Pictures
At last, James Wan direction is still pretty good as the camera work is still excellent and the atmosphere and tension he delivers throughout the film is quite impressive, especially considering the not so brilliant story. However, the film isn't as scary as its predecessor was. Maybe it's because instead of amazing makeup and costumes, it heavily relies on non-so good and unrealistic CGI that is rather distracting; or because every time something scary was happening, Wan cut to the next scene before something really scary happened.

4 comments :

  1. I agree this one wasn't a scary as the Conjuring but like you, I still enjoyed it for the most part. I have yet to tackle the spin offs from these films yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll pass those. I don't want to ruin the memory of these two.

      Delete
  2. I know some were down on this sequel but I truly loved it. I appreciated its focus on the family as well as the slow-boiling horror. It ran a little long but I was still onboard throughout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't love it as you did but it was pretty good for a sequel. I surely was not expecting it.

      Delete