Thursday Movie Picks: Halloween Edition: Rituals

A weekly series hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves

As much as I love Halloween-themed Thursday Movie Picks, I was not able to join the past two weeks because I simply couldn’t come up with anything. Or if I could I was too lazy to actually put in the effort to write. I’m not sure. Anyways, I’m back on track with this week’s theme because I simply could not miss horror movies featuring rituals. Without further ado, I leave you with my picks.

Midsommar (2019) - Review

After a tragedy strikes her, Dani (Florence Pugh) travels to Sweden with her boyfriend, Christian (Jack Reynor), and his buddies to attend a summer festival. Once there, they soon begin to realize that nothing is what it seems. If you haven’t seen it I urge you to do it because Aster’s second feature is a terrific film. It's creepy and terrifying but also funny and entertaining throughout and Florence's performance is beyond mesmerizing. 

Suspiria (2018) - Review

A young American ballerina, Susie Bannion (Dakota Johnson), travels to Berlin to attend one of the most renowned dance schools in the worlds which is, as it turns out, run by a cover of witches. I'm probably in the minority here but I like Guadagnino's reboot way more than Argento's original. It's got such a compelling story, the performances, especially Swinton's, are great, and the direction is top-notch. 

The Wicker Man (1973) - Review

Sergeant Neil Howie (Edward Woodward) is sent to the fictional Scottish island of Summerisle to investigate the disappearance of a young girl whom the townsfolk claim never existed. While it has aged terribly and I'm still not sure how I feel about it being a horror musical, it's a very creepy and suspenseful film. Definitely better than Nic Cage's version. Although Cage has an undeniable charm.

PS: I just realised all my picks are set in Europe. Coincidence? I don't think so. 

16 comments :

  1. A me Suspiria non ha entusiasmato. lo trovo incompiuto: grande eleganza formale ma i contenuti sono confusi e poco trattati. non è un horror, non è un dramma, non è un thriller, tenta di dare un colpo al cerchio e uno alla botte ma con scarsi risultati. Il confronto con il film di Argento è difficile: quello fu girato con poche lire, questo con uno spiegamento di mezzi tecnici notevole. bella però la colonna sonora.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beh almeno la colonna sonora ti è piaciuta 😅

      Delete
  2. We match on 1 1/2 picks, I chose the Wicker Man remake because it's hilarious lol. I also chose Midsommar because it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crazy Europeans! I never saw the original Wicker Man, so I may need to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choices! Wicker Man remake would be my pick tho simply because how hilarious this movie is 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only remember Cage's weird expressions from that one. Might have to revisit it.

      Delete
  5. Oh, we share a pick on Suspiria as I'm in that camp that loved that film. It was bonkers but I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Finally someone who shares my love for that movie.

      Delete
  6. Great list! I still need to watch Midsommar and the Wicker Man!

    Here’s my Thursday Movie Picks!

    Ronyell @ The Surreal Movies and TV Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. It normally wouldn't be something that I'd seek out but Midsommar is on my list since everything I've heard about it has been positive. It's certainly popular today.

    I didn't watch the original Suspiria for years until I was trying to complete Joan Bennett's filmography (still trying...only 5 very early films to find!!) and I didn't like it very much when I finally did. As far as the redo I figured if Joan and Alida Valli couldn't get me into the original the remake with no one near their allure (I like Tilda Swinton well enough but she never draws me to a film) that it wasn't for me.

    The Wicker Man is the only one I've actually seen. It is definitely a unique viewing experience. Edward Woodward was wonderful in it and it surely created an unsettling vibe. Pretty much everything I've heard about the remake has been horrendous so I'll never see it.

    This month has been a rough one for me as well to come up with choices, and I also sat out last week, but this one was easier. My first and last pick came to me as soon as I read the theme and between all the conversations Once Upon a Time in Hollywood have created about Sharon Tate and her connection to Polanski it reminded me of my second.

    Rosemary’s Baby (1968)-Rosemary Woodhouse (Mia Farrow in full pixie mode) and her struggling actor husband Guy (John Cassavetes) move to a New York City apartment building with an ominous reputation and odd neighbors Roman and Minnie Castavet (Sidney Blackmer & Ruth Gordon who won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar). When Rosemary discovers she’s pregnant she becomes increasingly isolated, the now successful Guy begins to change in disturbing ways and the diabolical truth is revealed only after Rosemary gives birth. Roman Polanski’s first American film is a classic of sustained dread.

    The Eye of the Devil (1966)-French vintner Philippe de Montfaucon (David Niven) returns to Bordeaux with his wife Catherine (Deborah Kerr) when the estate falls on hard times. Upon arrival they are confronted by the beautiful witch Odile de Caray (Sharon Tate in her starring debut), who also lives on the estate with her brother Christian (David Hemmings). As time passes it becomes clear that a ritual sacrifice is expected to return the vineyard to its former glory.

    Häxan (1922)-Silent film explores the history of witchcraft, demonology and Satanism. Lacing a narrative of the persecution of a woman accused of witchcraft through its representations of evil in a variety of ancient and medieval artworks and offering vignettes illustrating a number of superstitious practices. The film ends by suggesting that the modern science of psychology offers important insight into the beliefs and practices of the past. Fantastic hybrid of documentary and fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosemary's Baby is the only of your picks I've seen and I didn't like it. Too slow and boring for me.

      Delete
  8. Midsommar is very popular today and now one I want to see. I haven't seen the other picks even though Susperia is also popular today. I think I saw The Wickerman way, way ...way back but i don't remember hardly anything except that burning effigy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't seen Midsommar and Susperia but want to.
    What's this about Wicker Man and horror musical?

    ReplyDelete