Thursday Movie Picks: Over a Meal

A weekly series hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves

I know, I know, I’ve been a shitty Thursday Movie Picks participant lately — barely commenting on others’ posts and not posing at all on here — but did you seriously think I was going to miss this food-themed week?

So today we are picking films taking place during meals... basically my favourite part of the day. Without further ado, I leave you with my picks. 

An Italian Name (2015) - Review

Plot: A father-to-be (Alessandro Gassmann) is invited for dinner by his sister (Valeria Golino) and his brother-in-law (Luigi Lo Cascio). The situation gets out of hand when he announces the name for his future son. 

Having loved the original French film, I first skipped this because I was afraid it'd be the dumb Italian remake but boy I couldn't have been more wrong. It feels fresh, and it's even better than the original as it's a beautiful portrayal of a group of people, friends, colliding with each other opposed to the political stereotypes of the original. And the cast is great. 

My Dinner with Andre (1981) - Review

Plot: Old friends Andre (Andre Gregory) and Wally (Wallace Shawn) meet for dinner and as one tells anecdotes detailing his experiences, the other notices their differing views. 

It's not a movie for everybody as it's one of those plot-less films where nothing really happens. But if you are into watching real characters talk and confront themselves, then you're in for a treat as Shawn and Gregory are very entertaining and engaging. Also, the film is a good discussion of the meaning of life and all that.

Perfect Strangers (2016) - Review

Plot: while having dinner, a group of friends decide to place their phones on the table and read all the texts and emails they get out loud, and answer to phone calls on speaker. The disaster is right behind the corner, of course. 

This one too I was afraid would be another stupid Italian comedy and I was very reluctant. Eventually, I gave it a chance and I was amazed by how good the film actually is. The premise is very simple but the execution is fantastic. It poses many important questions, the characters are interesting and the acting is more than solid. 

14 comments :

  1. I've seen none of these with My Dinner with Andre being the one film that I really want to see. I went on a different route for my picks as I'm sure everyone has seen them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to see it soon as I’m sure you’d love it.

      Delete
  2. I'm 0 for 3 on your picks this week. But now I'm hungry again so there's that. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes the two of us lol your picks are much more mouth-watering though

      Delete
  3. Oh dear I am also 0 for 3 this time out but that first one sounds great, like both of the first performers. My Dinner with Andre I really should watch but it gets kidded so much as a think piece its always put me off.

    I struggled a bit with coming up with a third and resorted to high grade television but the first two came easily.

    Babette’s Feast (1987)-In the 1870s two deeply religious elderly sisters living in an isolated Danish village take in Babette a French refugee from the Franco-Prussian war who becomes their housekeeper working basically for room and board. A decade and a half later Babette wins a large amount of money in the lottery, which coincides with the 100th anniversary of the birth of the sisters' father, a devout Christian minister who had a great following in the village. Babette decides to throw an extravagant dinner for the remaining followers to honor the occasion. However the dinner will be French and once the ingredients start to arrive, the naïve villagers suspect that something unholy is about to take place. Winner of the Best Foreign Film Oscar and a feast for the eyes.

    The Hundred Foot Journey (2014)-When his family and he are displaced from their native India Hassan Kadam (Manish Dayal), a very talented amateur chef settle in a small French village and decide to open an Indian restaurant. However, Madame Mallory (Helen Mirren), the proprietress of an acclaimed restaurant just 100 feet away, strongly objects. War erupts between the two establishments, until Mme. Mallory recognizes Kadam's impressive skill in the kitchen and takes him under her wing.

    The Song of Lunch (2010)-An adaptation of Christopher Reid's narrative poem tells the story of book editor “He” (Alan Rickman), meeting ex-girlfriend “She” (Emma Thompson) a decade and a half after their initial break-up. She, now the society wife of a French writer residing in Paris and He a failed literary aesthete trapped in a mundane, unsatisfying publishing job who pines for the loss of their love affair meet at a chic SoHo restaurant that meant much to their relationship for a nostalgic lunch. All starts well but quickly becomes mired in recriminations. This one is a bit of a stretch since it premiered on Masterpiece Theatre but with Alan Rickman & Emma Thompson front and center it has a cast better than most films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Babette’s Feast is one I’ve been meaning to watch forever but for some reason I keep postponing it.

      Delete
  4. I have not seen any of these but I would like to see the first one as it sounds quite good. One year I will see My Dinner With Andre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get you. I also have that one film (actually more than one) that I keep saying I’ll watch sooner or later haha

      Delete
  5. I haven't seen any of these movies, but I have heard about My Dinner with Andre. So, I'll definitely give these movies a look! Great list!

    Here’s my Thursday Movie Picks!

    Ronyell @ The Surreal Movies and TV Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen any of your picks, but I'm really curious to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I of course know of you last pick since I myself pick the French remake.
    My Dinner with Andre is one I want to watch since I do like talky films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me so proud that so many countries remade it. It doesn't happen often with Italian movies as they are usually terrible.

      Delete