Thursday Movie Picks: Amateur Sleuths

a weekly series hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves

I am very fond of detective movies but if it's amateur detectives we are talking about, well, I'm going to struggle a lot to come up even with a film. If to that, you add the terrible headaches I've been having for the past three days, you can imagine how hard it was for me to come up with three for this week's Thursday Movie Picks. So please bear with me if they don't fit perfectly. 

Clue (1985) - Review

Based on the board game of the same name, this mystery comedy follows six guests, the butler (Tim Curry), and the maid (Colleen Camp), as they work together to solve a murder. While the film has many flaws — mostly script-wise —, it is such a funny film, and Curry is mesmerizing. 

Manhattan Mystery Murder (1993) - Review

Woody Allen's dark comedy follows a married couple (Diane Keaton and Allen) as they investigate the death of their neighbour's wife. While it's far from being Allen's best, it still is a fun film that blends well comedy and suspense. 

Rear Window (1954)

My favourite Hitchcock film, it follows a professional photographer (James Stewart) who, confined to his apartment after breaking a leg, becomes convinced one of his neighbours has committed a murder. It's incredible how this film manages to keep me on the edge of my seat every single time. And Stewart is terrific! Easily my favourite of my three picks today. 

10 comments :

  1. Sorry about your headaches, hope you get some relief soon, but it didn't stop you from making three terrific picks!

    Clue is silly fun strengthened by an incredible cast, all are wonderful but Madeline Kahn is peerless. When it was originally released in theatres it had three different solutions marketed as A B and C versions (I saw the B ending). The idea was that people would be so crazy to know all the answers they would go see the film three times....it didn't work out that way. Everyone just shared to two other endings that they didn't see but you have to hand it to the producers for trying to find a new revenue source.

    Rear Window is peak Hitch. I agree Jimmy is perfect in the lead and he's surrounded by a couldn't be better cast. All are wonderful but Thelma Ritter is always a particular favorite of mine.

    Manhattan Murder Mystery is a fun little lark with the usual top-flight cast Woody Allen manages to gather but the bright spot in the movie is Diane Keaton.

    Like everyone else it seems Rear Window was my first thought as well but I knew I'd used it before but fortunately I'd watched two this past year that fit well plus I added a short series by a very well-known young girl detective.

    Nancy Drew: Detective (1938)-A brief Warner Brothers series (this was followed by: Nancy Drew…Reporter, Nancy Drew…Trouble Shooter and Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase-all released in 1939) starring Oscar nominee Bonita Granville as the intrepid and curious young Nancy who sniffs trouble and cannot help investigating. That usually leads her into endless difficulties, but she always manages to solve the mystery in the end!

    Hue and Cry (1947)- “The Blood and Thunder Boys” are a neighborhood group of kids in a partially bombed out section of post-WWII London. They suspect the boss of the village gang is directing his cohorts to their various criminal enterprises by manipulating stories in a popular kid's paper “The Trump” (an actual kid comic of the time). Determined to stop the crooks they set out to solve the mystery of the leader’s identity and turn him over to the cops! Considered the first of the British Ealing comedies.

    Who Killed Mary What's 'Er Name? (1971)-When a local prostitute is slain in a rough, rundown part of town, the police and neighbors react with little more than a shrug. Outraged, retired boxer Mickey Isador (Red Buttons), who knew the woman slightly, decides to try and find the killer. With the aid of his daughter, he pokes around the gritty dilapidated slum looking for answers, nearly getting himself offed in the process. Low-budget film captures the ramshackle decay that had infected many parts of New York City in the late 60’s/early 70’s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm feeling a lot better now.

      I didn't know that trivia fact about Clue. That was quite a smart move from the producers even though it didn't have the result they hoped for.

      I haven't seen any of your picks (as usual) but Hue and Cry sounds like something I'd enjoy watching.

      Delete
  2. Yay Rear Window! I love that movie. It's my favorite Hitchcock too. I haven't seen your other picks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'd enjoy Clue, it is such a fun film!

      Delete
  3. 3 incredible films. Yeah, you can't go wrong with these 3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay I really need to watch Rear Window! It's a popular pick this week. Great pick with Clue too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really need to watch it because it's a masterpiece!

      Delete
  5. We match with Rear Window which is the popular choice this week. I agree with everything you said about this film. I love Clue which is not the best of films but it is so funny and love Tim Curry. I have not seen Manhattan Murder Mystery because I have to be in the right mood for a Woody Allen movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with that! I don't think I'll ever be in the mood to watch a Woody Allen film again.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed Manhattan Murder Mystery and totally forgot about it. It is perfect for this theme.

    ReplyDelete