Monthly Recap: November 2021



I should probably apologize for going AWOL for an entire month — and missing Dell's wonderful Girl Week blogathon — but I know that I'm going to be as inactive in December so there really is no point in that. 

Anyway, life updates. I've gone back to practising yoga daily and, while finding the time and especially the energy isn't always the easiest, I'm enjoying it so much, and I finally made the big step and treated myself with a premium yoga mat. 

My life is pretty much all work now because I'm usually too tired to do anything else, but at least I'm making plans for next year as one of my goals is to meet new people and I'm thinking of joining a gym, maybe a yoga class, so that I can meet someone I share some interests with. I would join a book or film club but there's no such thing here.

And I want to fall in love. Which is so damn hard because dating sucks, especially now that we're still in the middle of a fucking pandemic. So, if you have any suggestions in this regard, please let me know. 

With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo was not my cup of tea. The story is poorly developed, the main character is poorly written and unlikeable, and there's such a lack of conflict as she always resolves her problems real quick. And the writing style is just band and boring. 

Illusions, Delusions by (fellow blogger) Alexander Raphael is a beautiful collection of short stories, each written in a different style and so enjoyable because of their uniqueness. 

I'm halfway through Michael Pollan's How to Change Your Mind and it's getting a bit boring to be honest. Natsuo Kirino's Out, on the other hand, is such a compelling book and I can't wait to see how the story unfolds. 


Ted Lasso - Season 2 

The first season was wonderful and the second is just as good. I absolutely loved seeing more of Sam Obisanya, the Christmas episode was just lovely, and mental health is handled well without the subject becoming too heavy if that even makes sense. And I hate/love what the writers did with Nate. 

I also started Netflix's Maid a few days back and I'm liking it so far as the story is compelling and Margaret Qualley is great. 

Army of Thieves (2021)

Plot: A prequel, set before the events of Army of the Dead, which focuses on German safecracker Ludwig Dieter (Matthias Schweighöfer) leading a group of aspiring thieves on a top secret heist during the early stages of the zombie apocalypse.


I'm a Schweighöfer fangirl since ever and I enjoyed Army of the Dead so of course I was looking forward to this movie. And, unlike most things these days, it lives up to my expectations. Schweighöfer is funny as usual but also brings a human side to the character we meet months ago in Snyder's film. The plot, while not particularly sophisticated, is very engaging, and I liked the directing style. Rating: 3,5/5

How to Build a Girl (2019)

Plot: A teenager (Beanie Feldstein) living with her working-class family on a council estate in Wolverhampton, England, grows up to become a popular but conflicted music journalist.

I didn't know much about this film before watching it and yet I was still disappointed. It was so boring, and the main character was unlikeable for the majority of the film. And Feldstein's British accent, omg, it was so annoying! Rating: 2/5

Insomnia (2002)

Plot: Two Los Angeles homicide detectives (Al Pacino and Martin Donovan) are dispatched to a northern town where the sun doesn't set to investigate the methodical murder of a local teen.

I'm planning on rewatching it in the future because I just can't believe I enjoyed a Christopher Nolan movie this little, especially with that cast. I just got bored after halfway through I think, and I stopped caring. Rating: 3/5

tick, tick... BOOM! (2021)

Plot: On the cusp of his 30th birthday, a promising young theatre composer navigates love, friendship and the pressures of life as an artist in New York City.

It took me forever to watch this film because my dumbass typed tick tock boom on Netflix and for some weird reason only a Spanish movie titled Toc Toc popped out. Anyway, Lin-Manuel Miranda's directorial debut is good, damn good. The story is relatable, the main character, although he says some questionable things every now and then, is very likeable, the acting is good, there are some touching moments I appreciated, and the songs are catchy. And I will be forever grateful to Miranda for giving us Andrew Garfield wearing 90s clothes. Rating: 4/5

People Places Things (2015)

Plot: Will Henry (Jemaine Clement) is a newly single graphic novelist balancing parenting his young twin daughters and a classroom full of students while exploring and navigating the rich complexities of new love and letting go of the woman who left him.

This was such an enjoyable and witty film. Jemaine Clement is always a pleasure to watch as he's always so charming, and he's both funny and sweet in this. The story is compelling, and the characters feel real which makes it feel like a realistic rom-com. Rating: 3,5/5

No comments :

Post a Comment