Annie Hall (1977)

Genre


Director


Country

USA

Cast

Woody Allen, Diane Keaton, Tony Roberts, Carol Kane, Paul Simon, Janet Margolin, Shelley Duvall, Christopher Walken, Colleen Dewhurst, Donald Symington, Joan Newman, Marshall McLuhan, Mordecai Lawner


Plot


The comedian Alvy Singer (Woody Allen) broke up with Annie Hall (Diane Keaton) after a year of relationship, and he starts telling their story, trying to figure out if the problems he developed in his childhood may have been accomplices in the end of the story. 
Starting from their first meeting, Alvy explains the evolution of their love, for the earliest stages of happiness to the deterioration, until the final break.

Opinion

This film is a brilliant romantic comedy. Annie Hall is an ironic and intelligent description of the thousand of neuroses that afflict the modern couple, in this highly competitive society, but it is also a bitter reflection about the irrationality of the relationship between man and woman.


Quotes

Alvy Singer: I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member.

Alvy Singer: After that it got pretty late, and we both had to go, but it was great seeing Annie again. I... I realized what a terrific person she was, and... and how much fun it was just knowing her; and I... I, I thought of that old joke, y'know, the, this... this guy goes to a psychiatrist and says, "Doc, uh, my brother's crazy; he thinks he's a chicken." And, uh, the doctor says, "Well, why don't you turn him in?" The guy says, "I would, but I need the eggs." Well, I guess that's pretty much now how I feel about relationships; y'know, they're totally irrational, and crazy, and absurd, and... but, uh, I guess we keep goin' through it because, uh, most of us... need eggs.

2 comments :

  1. Most Rom-Coms would not exist without this movie. That last quote you posted in a masterpiece in writing

    ReplyDelete