Thursday Movie Picks: Valentine's Edition: Love Triangles


Hello you and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks, a weekly series hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves where you share three movies to fit the theme of the week each Thursday.


February has come to an end and with it the Valentine's Edition as well - thank God! This week's topic is Love Triangles aka when two people both love a third person, and that third often loves them both. That simple. Without wasting any more time, here's my unconventional picks for the week:

X-Men (2000)

Magneto believes a war between mutants and humans is approaching, and needs Rogue, a young mutant run away from home, to accomplish his evil plan and Professor X tries to do anything in his power to stop him. While this happens, instead of properly helping, Wolverine and Cyclops are too busy fighting to win Jean Grey's heart. How selfish of them *look of disapproval*

Casablanca (1942)

During World War II, Rick is an exiled American who runs the most popular nightclub in Casablanca, Morocco. Rick is also in possession of two valuable letters of transit. Those letters should help Laszlo, a Czechoslovak underground leader, and his wife to get out of the country. But nobody ever said life is supposed to be easy, and it's not. Especially when Rick discovers that Laszlo's wife is his old flame Ilsa. 

Bend It Like Beckham (2002)

Jess, a teenager whose only passion is football and dreams of being a great footballer like David Beckham, strikes up a friendship with Jules, and joins a girls team coached by the handsome Joe. As if coming from a traditional, close-knit Sikh family wasn't enough, Jess and her new friend both fall in love with Joe, putting at stake their friendship and football career. This film's focus is not the love triangle, but I love it so much I had to make it fit somewhere.

7 comments :

  1. I love seeing X-Men here again. That's a great choice and one I certainly didn't think of. I remember seeing Bend it Like Beckham in theaters but I do not remember anything from that movie. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another vote for X-Men. Love it. Casablanca is always a great choice. Still haven't seen Bend It, but I'm sure I will. My daughter loves it and brings it to my attention from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen Bend It many years ago and only remember liking it. Actually, I totally forgot about this movie until you mentioned it here :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the choices. X-Men has those battling it out over the gal. Casablanca is perfect in every way and is one of my favourite films. bend It is a fun film with depth and a great choice as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bend It Like Beckham!!! YESS!!!! Love it. So weird that Keira became the go-to period romantic heroine after this since she's so contemporary and great in this.

    Casablanca is perfection in every way. X-Men isn't, but I love it anyway. Great comic book movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Casablanca is SO perfect for this week I'm amazed I haven't seen it turn up until now, and ashamed it never even crossed my mind. Ilsa's choice is so tortured and swooningly romantic at the same time and Bergman & Bogart are perfect together. I'm glad they never made another film together so that their unique pairing wasn't diluted. I think it's another factor that keeps the film special.

    This is the second mention of X-Men I've seen, it never occurred to me. I guess I don't look at the series from that aspect, I really enjoy them though.

    Nice catch with Bend It Like Beckham, a nice under the radar catch. I haven't rewatched it lately but I enjoyed it when I saw it in the theatre.

    I tried to go with lighter titles this week though my last has its fair share of anguish.

    This Means War (2012)-Two CIA secret agents (Chris Pine & Tom Hardy) best friends and roommates go all out in their competition when they discover they have fallen for the same woman (Reese Witherspoon). The three actors work hard to buoy this with their personality and charisma. One problem: Tom Hardy and Chris Pine’s chemistry with each other is much stronger than either share with Reese. The director's roots in music videos are painfully obvious and he does nothing to smooth out the many kinks in the borderline creepy plot.

    Keeping the Faith (2000)-A triangle with a twist. Two men-a priest and a rabbi (Edward Norton & Ben Stiller), friends since childhood, fall for the same woman (Jenna Elfman). She is likewise a friend from their youth newly returned to town. The various conflicts the situation presents make up the bulk of the film.

    Some Kind of Wonderful (1987)-Working class high schooler Keith (Eric Stoltz) longs to date the most popular girl in school Amanda Jones (Lea Thompson) and his best friend, the tomboyish Watts (Mary Stuart Masterton), tries to help at first. Once he makes the date though she realizes she’s jealous. Add in that Amanda’s ex-boyfriend, jackass rich boy Hardy (Craig Sheffer), resents being replaced by someone he sees as inferior and plots revenge. All the pieces are now in place for a big showdown. If the plot sounds somewhat familiar it’s because this was written by the prolific king of 80’s teen angst John Hughes. Good performances all around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great picks! Ah Bend it Like Beckham, everyone went crazy over this film at school, mostly becuase it was shot near where I live, it felt like our home towns had a bit of fame.

    ReplyDelete