Cloverfield (2008)

Genre

Horror | Sci-Fi

Director

Matt Reeves

Country

USA

Cast

Michael Stahl-David, Odette Annable, T. J. Miller, Jessica Lucas, Lizzy Caplan, Mike Vogel, Ben Feldman, Billy Brown, Chris Mulkey, Brian Klugman, Theo Rossi

Storyline

During a surprise leaving party, the lights go out and the ground begins to shake. With explosions happening everywhere, the party-goers decide to leave the apartment. Accompanied by a hand-held video camera, Hud (T. J. Miller) manages to capture on film the terrifying incidents that occur.

Opinion

Waiting for "10 Cloverfield Lane" to be released, I caught the opportunity to rewatch "Cloverfield", and to my surprise I still enjoyed it, 8 years later and with my taste in movies completely changed.

Overall the film is entertaining, occasionally terrifying and delivers some thrills, even though it doesn't spare us some tedious moments.

The story isn't great, and it takes almost 25 minutes before the film gets interesting, 25 minutes of a useless party and wedding-style say "hi" to the guy who's leaving for Japan, but after that it's quite enjoyable, despite the lack of an actual storyline, and despite you already know how it's gonna end since the very beginning.

There is some nonsense going on like the idea of everyone still being on board to save one girl after one of the friends dies, but the film presents us in a realistic-ish way how we would react if we were in those people's place. The cliché of the superhero who saves the whole world in a rather far-fetched way is spared to us. Instead, the protagonists try in vain but in a rather likely way to save the people they love and to escape from the monster. For once, the protagonists have no clue what to do, and they are overwhelmed by panic and confusion ruling the city.

The CGI isn't as bad as many say, but isn't neither great. The monster is kind of cool even though I would have loved to know where did it come from. However, the analogy with terrorism is quite interesting.

I really don't know nor remember why I considered the whole hand-held camera thing like a huge deal back in 2008, but I was quite annoying by it now since the shaky camera doesn't really add anything to the plot, to the story, and only took away from the cool effects.

2 comments :

  1. I remember loving the whole found footage thing years ago, but now it just makes me feel a bit sick, ha. Great review! :)
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did watch this a few years back and thought it was better than I thought it would be. My niece loved it. I wonder about the 2nd film though

    ReplyDelete