Thursday Movie Picks: Television Edition: Book to TV Adaptations


Welcome back, welcome if you are new, to Thursday Movie Picks, the wonderful series hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves. This being the last Thursday of the month, we are picking TV series, specifically those adapted from a book. 

Orange is the New Black (2013- )

It follows Piper Chapman (Taylor Schilling), a rich woman in her 30s, as she serves a sentence of a year and a half for transporting drug money to an ex-girlfriend (Laura Prepon). I still haven't read Piper Kerman's memoir but I love this show. It's not as good as it used to be and they killed one of my favourite characters but I still love this. Damn, I named my PokemonGO account after this.

The Handmaid's Tale (2017- )

Set in a dystopian future ruled by a fundamentalist regime, it follows June/Offred (Elizabeth Moss), one of the few remaining fertile women who is forced to live as a concubine. I really liked the book by Margaret Atwood but, although I still haven't finished this because I keep starting new stuff, the show is even better. The atmosphere is fantastic, but it's the acting, especially Moss's, that won me over.

Sharp Objects (2018)

A reporter (Amy Adams) returns to her hometown to cover the murders of two preteen girls and she ends up confronting the demons from her past. I still haven't read Gillian Flynn's novel but Jean Marce-Vallee and Amy Adams really did an outstanding job as the main character is just as fleshed out like any other female character Flynn has written. 

10 comments :

  1. We match on Handmaid's Tale and Sharp Objects! I like OITNB too, even if it's not as solid as the first seasons I still get into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I keep watching only because I'm attached to the characters. I completely lost it when they killed Poussey.

      Delete
  2. I can't believe Adams has been getting snubbed left and right this awards season, she was terrific in this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! I love her and most of her performances but that was probably her best.

      Delete
  3. I completely forgot OITNB was based on a book! Great choice. Sharp Objects is getting a lot of love this week and I'm desperate to see it now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of all 3 but have not seen any. I am willing to give Orange a try since, with Awards shows, it keeps getting flipped from Comedy to drama which makes me laugh. I really want to see Sharp Objects but I have no desire to see A Handmaid's tale. It just sounds so bleak

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad OITNB is coming to an end. I enjoyed the first few seasons but it has lost some of its sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, they should have ended it years ago.

      Delete