The Cabin in the Woods (2011)

I saw The Cabin in the Woods when it came out and, although I liked it, I never bother rewatching it, mainly because I had terrible taste in movies back then. After reading Cinematic Corner's 10 best horror films since 2010, I thought it was time for a rewatch.

The story follows five college kids, Dana (Kristen Connolly), Curt (Chris Hemsworth), Jules (Anna Hutchison), Holden (Jesse Williams), and Marty (Fran Kranz), as they head off to a cabin in the woods for the weekend, and along the way they come across a creepy man who warns them about the danger. Of course, they ignore him and isolate themselves in the cabin anyway.

There couldn't have been a more stereotypical horror scenario than this, am I right? Well, thankfully, there's so much more to the plot —as revealed in the confusing opening (confusing because you feel like you're watching the wrong movie), there's a team of high tech people who is responsible for whatever is about to happen in the cabin— and, although the major twist is revealed right from the start, the plot is compelling and engaging from start to finish.

Not only The Cabin in the Woods has a well-thought plot, but it makes fun of clichés in horror movies incredibly well, starting from the characters who are your typical horror movie victims —Dana is the sweet and innocent one, Curt is the athletic/jerky one, Jules is the slut, Holden is the nerd, and Marty is the stoner. Only this time around they are not plain dumb nor they make the most idiotic choices ever such as splitting up to cover more ground. Eventually, they do idiotic things but only because it's the tech people manipulating, controlling them. Despite their clichés, they are likeable and you'll find yourself rooting for them.

The cast does a pretty good job too. While Kristen Connolly, Chris Hemsworth and Anna Hutchison do fine in their roles as they play the clichéd characters very well, Fran Franz steals the show as he nails the role of the stoner with a believable and hilarious performance. There are also two great performances by Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford, both in the role of tech controllers, and the share such chemistry, it's a pleasure to watch them, and a lot of fun too.

Lionsgate
Because of the humorous tone The Cabin in the Woods has from the very beginning, I was a bit worried about the horror aspect. I worried over nothing though as the film delivers on the front too. While I wouldn't call any of the scenes scary, there are some rather chilling scenes, fun killing scenes and so much gore to please a fan of slasher.

2 comments :

  1. Are you me? Haha - I watched this for the same reason, and haven't seen it since for the same reason! Once a particular favourite actor of mine was killed off I stopped paying attention but I know now this is meant to be a really great movie, so I need to rewatch it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear it's not just me who does that! And I also stop paying attention/caring when the character I like dies, I mean, what's even the point, right? This is worth following until the end though :)

      Delete