Thursday Movie Picks: Romance Tropes & Television Edition: Love Triangles

a weekly series hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves

For this final romance-themed week, we are asked to pick TV series features love triangles. Despite it being a plot-device I don't like nor care for, I do have my favourites, which always are the attractive and not-so-nice boys. So without further ado, here are my three crushes love triangle picks. 

Jane the Virgin (2014-2019) - Jane & Michael vs. Jane & Rafael

Jane (Gina Rodriguez) is madly in love with Michael (Brett Dier). Her feelings are put to test when she is accidentally artificially inseminated, and the father is Rafael (Justin Baldoni), the guy who gave her her first kiss. I think Michael gets out of the picture at some point, but I was team Rafael from day one. I mean, have you looked at Baldoni? Also, I cried so much watching his real-life proposal years ago so I could only root for him. 

Lost (2004-2010) - Kate & Jack vs. Kate and Sawyer

Among all the rivalries between the plane crash's survivors and, later, the others, this love triangle is easily the one I remember the best. My pick? Sawyer. First, the character is so much more interesting than Jack, whom, by the way, I could not stand. Second, I had, and still have, a huge crush on Josh Holloway. Third, I thought Kate (Evangeline Lilly) and he made the best couple. 

The Vampire Diaries (2009-2017) - Elena & Stefan vs. Elena & Damon

Two vampire brothers, Stefan (Paul Wesley) and Damon (Ian Somerhalder), return to their hometown after centuries of quarrelling and meet Elena (Nina Dobrev), a high school girl with an uncanny resemblance to the woman they were both in love with years ago. I have a crush on Ian Somerhalder since Lost so it was pretty obvious I'd want Damon to get the girl. Also, good boys are boring so Damon also makes for the most compelling character. Not sure how it goes because I stopped after the show after two seasons. 

12 comments :

  1. The bad boys are always the most interesting, aren't they!? I'd love to see a love triangle where it's bad boy vs. bad boy, just to make it more interesting all together. :D I do think Damon and Elena end up together in the end... I stopped after season 2 also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that would be a very compelling triangle! They always are so boring.

      Delete
  2. Lost is pretty popular this week! I never watched that, but my husband did so I was somewhat familiar with it. I haven't seen your other picks, but I did watch a 2 hour youtube video about the Vampire Diaries recently despite not knowing anything about it. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you even manage? I stopped watching the series because I couldn't even get through a 40-minute episode haha.

      Delete
  3. I'm familiar with all three but the only one I watched with any regularity was Lost. I was avid during its first four years but then trailed off after that. I had a soft spot for Jack because I started watching for Matthew Fox. I was a faithful viewer of his previous show Party of Five so I saw him as Charlie from that show more than Jack. But to be honest on Lost Sawyer was the more interesting character.

    As for the other two vampires have never been my thing and I never knew when Jane was on so never developed the habit of watching the show.

    I hit a real block this week until I decided to go back to shows I watched in reruns as a kid.

    Our Miss Brooks (1952-1956)-High school English teacher Constance Brooks (Eve Arden) is hopelessly enamored with handsome but obtuse science teacher Phillip Boynton (Robert Rockwell). They exist in a sort of limbo land where Mr. Boynton takes it for granted that Miss Brooks will always be there. That is until Connie moves to a new school and the gym teacher Gene Talbot (Gene Barry) tries to sweep her off her feet. At last Boynton’s dander is riled up enough to fight for her.

    The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis (1959-1963)-High school student Dobie Gillis (Dwayne Hickman) is hopelessly in love with Thalia Menninger (Tuesday Weld) who hardly acknowledges his existence while Zelda Gilroy (Sheila James) likewise pines for him. Even after Thalia moves away and Dobie, as the title says, constantly falls for a series of beautiful and unattainable girls Zelda continues to yearn.

    Petticoat Junction (1963-1970)-When crop duster Steve Elliott’s (Mike Minor) plane crashes near the Shady Rest Hotel in Hooterville he’s taken in to recover by proprietress Kate Bradley (Bea Benaderet) and her three daughters Billie Jo (Meredith MacRae), Bobbie Jo (Lori Saunders) and Betty Jo (Linda Kaye Henning). During his convalescence he and Billie Jo start to date but once he decides to stay in town, he realizes it’s Betty Jo that he really loves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense. I hated Jack so much, it still annoys me to see Matthew Fox in movies to this day.

      Delete
  4. We match!! I mean, I've matched with all my picks this week which is kinda cool. :D

    Anyway I of course know of all your picks but haven't seen the first one fully to know how I feel and the second I stopped but I think I was rooting for Sawyer (duh, bad boy). :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somehow I have not seen a single one of the shows you picked, but I have heard loads about all of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lost is the only one I would suggest watching.

      Delete
  6. I've seen all the shows.
    Lost - don't have an opinion on any of the guys.
    VD - I prefer Damon because he has a sharper personality and quick witted therefore more fun to watch.
    JTV - I like Michael, because he was more regular guy while Rafael was like this flashy rich guy.
    [SPOILERS]
    Anyway Michael is out of the picture because he died. He died in a super heartbreaking way...he's a cop and had survived I think a gun shot or something...and it looked like Jane and him were getting their happily ever after, they thought he was ok, only for him to collapse and die months later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I meant with "out of the picture". I thought he died but I wasn't 100% sure.

      Delete