The Fly (1986)

Genre

Horror | Sci-Fi

Director

David Cronenberg

Country

USA

Cast

Jeff Goldblum, Geena Davis, John Getz, Joy Boushel, Leslie Carlson, George Chuvalo, David Cronenberg

Storyline

Brilliant and eccentric scientist Seth Brundle (Jeff Goldblum) is working on teleportation, but just when he thinks he's ironed out the last bug in the system, one of his experiments goes horribly wrong.

Opinion

I've seen this film for the first and only time when I was a kid - yes, my mother thought and still thinks today that it was okay for me and my brother to watch this when we weren't even ten - and never watch it again, not that I didn't like it - to be honest I loved it - I just wanted to watch new movies. I'm glad I rewatched it now that I'm fully grown because now I'm able to understand the film and appreciate the genius behind it, David Cronenberg.

But let's get into the review. "The Fly" is a fascinating, superb yet terrifying and disturbing film that is arguably one of the best horror films ever made.

Unlike what it may sounds like, the story isn't a dumb horror-creature story, but a brilliant, engaging and disgusting science fiction tale of a man whose body slowly transforms into a fly. But it's also a tragic and emotional love story.

The main character's metamorphosis is surprising and frightening at the same time, and generates suspense as well as will have you having both feelings of disgust and compassion towards the character. And it is fascinating because his body starts to metamorphose not into a fly, but into a hybrid, half a human half a fly. 

Kafka's influence in this is pretty evident - Seth Brundle, the main character, is literally going through a Kafkaesque metamorphosis - as well as what Cronenberg tries to show with the film which is the social exclusion of a human being because different and that same person trying to be something different but can't.

Thirty years later, the make up and special effects are jaw-dropping and still impressive and they don't look the least bit dated.

The leading duo is excellent. Jeff Goldblum is phenomenal as Seth Brundle/the Fly, and Geena Davis gives an equally good performance as Seth's love interest. Also their chemistry is wonderful.

1 comment :

  1. I haven't seen this one, just the original. I thought the original was quite good and sad, so this is on my list. I've heard good things about the make up and special effects like you mentioned, which I'm probably looking forward to see the most.

    ReplyDelete