Nightcrawler (2014)

Genre

Crime | Drama | Thriller

Director

Dan Gilroy

Country

USA

Cast

Jake Gyllenhaal, Rene Russo, Riz Ahmed, Bill Paxton, Michael Hyatt, Ann Cusack, Kevin Rahm, Kiff VandenHeuvel, Jonny Coyne, Michael Papajohn

Storyline

Smalltime thief Louis Bloom (Jake Gyllenhaal) discovers the high-speed world of L.A. crime journalism and soon blurs the line between observer and participant. 

Opinion

Despite all the love "Nightcrawler" got - mainly because of Gyllenhaal's performance -, and me wanting to see it, I missed it. Needless to say it, I've finally watched it, and while I knew it was going to be disturbing, I found myself transported into the mind of a psychopath. And I don't care how it sounds, but I loved it.

Although the story is simple and features many plot holes, yet it's unpredictable, the film will still grab your attention and hold it until the very end because of the its main character. Louis Bloom is such a creepy, disturbed, unlikable character. He is a sick individual capable of doing anything to achieve his goals. He is cockroach feeding of the misfortunes of others, and feeding off violent crimes only to have power.

So he's definitely a character we are supposed to find repulsive, but because of Jake Gyllenhaal, you'll actually end up caring for him. Gyllenhaal's performance is flawless and so mesmerizing, he makes the character one of the most memorable in recent years. Also he is able to deliver madness through his eyes only.

Other than being a phenomenal character study, "Nightcrawler" also makes a commentary on today's society, mainly addressed to the media and how they abuse stories only to make money, and about the charm coming from blood, something today's society can't live without.

Dan Gilroy really did an excellent job, not only writing, but directing this film as well, which is impressive as it's Gilroy's directorial debut. Also, he was able to show the dark side of L.A. beautifully thank to Robert Elswit's cinematography.

7 comments :

  1. I did the same as you, and it's not like me to miss a Gyllenhaal movie! By the time I eventually watched it I wondered why the hell I'd waited so long. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm not a fan of Gyllenhaal but his movies are usually great and I can't believe I missed most of them.

      Delete
  2. OK, because of your review, I will see this despite the disturbing story

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent film, so disturbing, yet mesmerizing. JG gives my top performance of 2014, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it was the best of 2014, but he sure deserved some recognition.

      Delete
  4. Strong acting
    Memorable character
    Excellent movie 🎥

    ReplyDelete