Thursday Movie Picks: Deadly Sins Edition: Wrath

A weekly series hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves
I've been feeling so low these last couple of days, I didn't really feel like talking about movies at all. Even writing June's recap was quite a challenge as I didn't feel like doing anything other than laying on my bed and commiserate myself. But since that's not possible — I have to go to work — and I haven't missed a single Thursday Movie Picks this year, here I am, sharing three films about the sin of wrath. 

The Incredible Hulk (2008) - Review

Scientist Bruce Banner (Edward Norton) is exposed to gamma radiation which happens to turn him into a giant green monster, the Hulk, and sets out to find a cure. But he also has to run from the military as they try to capture him. I haven't seen this film in years but I really liked it. It could be because I have a soft spot for Norton or because I was yet to recover from the very bad previous Hulk movie, but I'm one of the few people who genuinely liked this film. 

Raging Bull (1980) - Review

Scorsese's film chronicles two decades of the life of middleweight boxing champion Jake La Motta (Robert De Niro). I wasn't the biggest fan of this film, to be honest. I thought La Motta's story was boring and not interesting. But the character development is impressive and De Niro is great. 

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) - Review

The second instalment of the franchise, The Wrath of Khan follows Kirk (William Shatner) and his crew as they try to stop Khan Noonien (Ricardo Montalbán), an infamous conqueror from late 20th century Earth who wants to conquer the world (?). I don't know. I don't remember much about it. I do remember it being far superior to its predecessor. And Montalbán was terrific. 

10 comments :

  1. We match on Raging Bull! I haven't seen The Incredible Hulk in ages, I should probably give it another watch sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had the time to do that! I already struggle with watching movies for the first time haha.

      Delete
  2. Sorry you're feeling low, not hard to understand with everything going on right now. It backs up on you unexpectedly and takes a while to shake. Hope you can do that soon!

    I never saw this version of Hulk. I use to watch the TV show on occasion but was never a big enough fan to go to the theatre to see any version. Especially after all the negative word of mouth on the first. But it certainly is a tongue in groove fit for the theme!

    DeNiro is great and the craftmanship is superior but I'm with you on finding Raging Bull a trial to watch.

    There is a theory that every even numbered Star Trek movie is a good one and the odd numbers bad. Of those I've seen that holds true. This one was a fun watch and Montalban was having a high old time in his role.

    I was tempted to do three with wrath in the title, including your last, but I'd already used Grapes of Wrath and Days of Wrath before so I moved on to literary representations of that sin.

    Moby Dick (1956)-Captain Ahab (Gregory Peck) is consumed with wrath at Moby Dick, the whale who has caused the loss of his leg. He undertakes a suicidal mission to pursue the beast for a showdown with a crew including Starbuck (Leo Genn), Father Mapple (Orson Welles) and Ishmael (Richard Basehart). When they finally catch up with him the whale seems to have his own score to settle.

    Othello (1965)-Moorish general Othello (Laurence Olivier) plans to marry Desdemona (Maggie Smith) in secret. When her old suitor Roderigo (Robert Lang) hears of the upcoming nuptials he does not take it well and teams with Othello’s ensign Iago, who has long nursed a wrathful grudge against his superior, and a scheme that will end in tragedy for all unfolds.

    Oliver! (1968)-In this musical version of Dickens’s Oliver Twist there are immoral characters aplenty but Bill Sikes (Oliver Reed) stands out as the cruelest and the one most prone to lash out in wrathful vengeance that brings grief to others as well as himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I’m glad to know I wasn’t the only to feel that way about Raging Bull. As for the even and odd numbered Star Trek movies, it is true, the even numbered are the best of the series.

      I haven’t seen any of your picks but Moby Dick is one I’ve been wanting to see for a very long time. I want to read the book first though.

      Delete
  3. We share a pick with The Wrath of Khan. Easily the best film of the Star Trek franchise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raging Bull is THE pick for this week and, although De Niro is excellent and I loved the cinematography, I just find this wholly unlikable. I love Wrath of Khan and think Montalban was Oscar worthy. Joel is right about the films. The worst, for me, has to be the Star Trek V with Spock's half brother..blechhh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely removed that one haha. I really loved the IV too, the one where Spock and Kirk go to San Francisco.

      Delete
  5. I've had the Raging Bull DVD for ages and still haven't seen it.
    I tried watching the other Hulk movie and I didn't finish it as it was such a bore that I was wary to even try this Hulk movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is better than the first version. I promise :)

      Delete