Thursday Movie Picks: Secret Doorways/Worlds

A weekly series hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves
There's nothing I'd love more right now than walk through a door and find myself on a beach on some island, doing absolutely nothing other than relaxing all day long. Preferably with Daniel Ricciardo. Who am I kidding? I wouldn't even have the energy to entertain him, if you know what I mean. Anyway, unfortunately, I live in the real world and the closest I can get to such an experience is watching a movie about someone entering a secret world. Which is exactly what we are talking about in this week’s Thursday Movie Picks.


Coraline (2009) - Review

This is a creepy and yet charming animated film that follows a young girl, Coraline (voiced by Dakota Fanning), as she finds herself into another world, a much better version of her life. Unfortunately, nothing is what it seems. 

Pan’s Labyrinth (2006)

A beautiful dark fairy tale for grown-ups, Guillermo del Toro's film is set in 1944 falangist Spain, and follows the young Ofelia (Ivana Baquero) as she discovers a mysterious labyrinth which leads her to a faun. 

Spirited Away (2001) - Review

A terrific coming-of-age with stunning animation, this anime follows 10-year-old Chihiro (voiced by Rumi Hiiragi) as she wanders into a world ruled by gods, witches, and spirits, and where humans are changed into beasts. 

13 comments :

  1. We match on Coraline! I LOVE your other two picks as well. Excellent films.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I've seen all three but like Coraline is a favourite I think. Since I also just recently saw it. Now that I think about it.. have I seen Pan's Labyrinth... I might have not just that image is so well known.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you haven't please watch it. It's terrific!

      Delete
  3. The escape to the beach is a nice idea but just about as hopeless for us all right now. I must admit I had to look up Daniel Ricciardo! I'm not a racing fan, are you?, but he is attractive. :-)

    I've only seen Pan's Labyrinth out of your three and I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it. Weird, disquieting but extraordinary film.

    Coraline isn't something that ever interested me and I'm completely immune to anime's charms so Spirited Away won't be something I'll be watching.

    One of my choices is an animated film this week! No one is more surprised than me!! But it fit well and I have fond memories of watching it when I was young.

    Alice in Wonderland (1933)-Alice (Charlotte Henry) goes down the rabbit hole and tumbles into a crazy world where Cary Grant is the Mock Turtle, Gary Cooper the White Knight, W.C. Fields Humpty Dumpty, Edward Everett Horton the Mad Hatter and a raft of familiar but less famous performers other characters.

    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Parts 1 & 2 (2011)-The final two films in the Potter series and perhaps the best find Harry, Hermione and Ron battling Voldemort to destroy the Horcruxes.

    Peter Pan (1953)-Animated Disney film where the magical boy Peter Pan and the faithful Tinkerbell whisk the Darling children off to the enchanted world of Neverland where they help him battle the wicked pirate Captain Hook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am! I follow Formula 1 since I was 10. I'm 26 now. And yes, Ricciardo is very attractive. Pretty much the reason why I support him now. And his personality. Especially his personality. He's such a funny and nice guy.

      I've seen all of your picks (finally!) and the Harry Potter ones are my favourites. I can't believe I haven't watched them in years.

      Delete
  4. Can't go wrong with any of those 3 films.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome list! I've seen both Coraline and Spirited Away and I enjoyed them both! I haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth yet, although I really wanted to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you should really check it out. It's amazing.

      Delete
  6. Great picks! We match with Pan's Laybrith and I almost added Spirited Away as well, but I had already used this one for another topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got to the point where I don't really care if I've used the film already. It's a miracle I find three films each week haha.

      Delete
  7. I have only seen Pan's Labyrinth which is one film I adore. I have not seen your 2 other picks but Coraline does sound intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Pans Labyrinth and I can't believe I never thought of it for this theme.

    ReplyDelete