Thursday Movie Picks: Non-English Language Movies

a weekly series hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves

It's foreign-language movies week and I'm so excited for it because it's thanks to this theme over the years that I've learnt about some amazing foreign films, like the beautiful Wadjda. But, while I love it because it has made me discover many hidden gems, I'm going a different route with my picks today as I decided to pick three German films I watched in German without subtitles years ago when all my German vocabulary consisted of ja, auf wiedersehen and kartoffeln. These are three films starring my (decade old) crush Matthias Schweighöfer that I've been meaning to rewatch to understand the dialogue as the plot are very easy to understand even without knowing the language. 

Friendship! (2010)

It is set after the fall of the Berlin wall and it follows two friends from East Germany as they fly to New York. Their goal is to go to San Francisco though and since they don't have enough money they decide to hitch-hike. Despite the language barrier I really, really enjoyed this one. 

Keinohrhasen (2007)

I don't really remember the plot of this one but I'm pretty sure it was a romantic comedy and, to be honest, I watched this one for Til Schweiger. And then my crush on Schweighöfer began. Anyway, there's enough physical comedy, although it's often dumb, to make you laugh and keep you entertained even when you don't understand a word the people are saying. Plus, there are so many good looking people in this one. 

Zweiohrküken (2009)

This is the sequel to Keinohrhasen and I remember absolutely nothing about it. It still follows Schweiger and Schweighöfer's characters — the first struggling with his girlfriend, the latter once again trying to find a woman — but other than that I don't remember what happens. 

16 comments :

  1. I've not heard of any of these! I need to watch more foreign language films. But I understand your crush on Til Schweiger for sure :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the sound of the first one, I'll have to track it down (subtitled though-I think I've only willingly ever watched one film in another language-the Italian Angels of Darkness-and that was only because it was the last Linda Darnell picture I had to see to complete her filmography and it was the only print available. The story was relatively clear so I did okay but I'd still rather have the words in a language I understand to fully grasp what's going on.)

    I've been a fan of Til Schweiger since the mid-90's when I saw him in Maybe...Maybe Not. His films can be variable but I'll always give them a chance because of his participation so the other two go on my very long to see list.

    No German pix this time out but I did chose one each from various countries that I'd seen not too long ago.

    Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion (1970)-An Italian police inspector (Gian Maria Volonte) held in high regard within the department and community murders his mistress and then insinuates himself into the homicide investigation that follows. Believing he is above suspicion he takes it as a game to plant clues at the crime scene to test the competence and integrity of Italian law enforcement. Winner of the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film.

    A Colt is My Passport (1967)-Hitman Shuji Kamimura (Joe Shishido) and his partner Shun Shiozaki (Jerry Fujio) are hired by yakuza boss Senzaki to kill a rival whose greed has become a problem. The job comes off but then the pair runs into complications that seem to be headed in a deadly direction. This pastiche of noir/yakuza/spaghetti Western takes you on a wild ride.

    Orpheus (1950)-During an altercation in a Parisian Cafe involving the poet Orphée (Jean Marais) rival poet Cègeste (Edouard Dermithe) is killed. A mysterious princess (María Casares) appears and insists on taking Orpheus and the body away in her Rolls-Royce. Orphée soon finds himself in the underworld, where the Princess announces that she is, in fact, Death. Orpheus escapes in the Rolls back to the land of the living but at a cost. Jean Cocteau directed this surrealistic updating of the Greek myth of Orpheus and Eurydice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to find another Til Schweiger fan. I thought I was the only one.

      I haven't seen any of your picks but Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion is already on my watchlist as it's often mentioned when old Italian movies come up. Of the other two, Orpheus is the one I'd be interested in watching.

      Delete
  3. Ahh German humour...wait..what? Hahahaaa. I have never heard of these films but they sound entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I guess you can't really call it humour but it does work. At least it does when you don't speak the language haha.

      Delete
  4. I try to watch German movies without subs too but sometimes it can be difficult. I need to get back to taking regular classes with my German. I haven't seen any of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm studying it on my own but there's so much stuff I want to do and have to do so I don't have a lot of time for German. I'm making some progress but it's tiny.

      Delete
  5. I hope to check these films out real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just looked up Matthias Schweighöfer - nice looking fella!
    These are all new to me. I haven't watched many German-language films. Only one that comes to mind is Run Lola Run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There aren't a lot of foreigners who watch German movies to be honest. Run Lola Run is one of the great ones and I'm glad you watched it.

      Delete
  7. Awe, yay! I ALSO did German movies for this week's theme, but I did it because I'm lazy and German is my primary language haha I'm so happy to see them represented here. I don't feel like a lot of people know mainstream German stuff, only the occasional arthouse movie will make it through. But maybe that's just me thinking that's the way it is ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not just you, it's definitely that way. The German movies people usually watch are the Oscar nominated films like Toni Erdmann and Never Look Away. And, don't get me wrong, I love those films, but there are also some enjoyable, light ones, and people should know about them too.

      Delete
  8. I have actually seen all of your picks! (And I totally get you with Schweighöfer) :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen Keinohrhasen...though I never knew it by its German name...only by its English one...Rabbit Without Ears. Haven't seen the sequel though.

    ReplyDelete