Thursday Movie Picks: Summer Break

a weekly series hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves

I feel like I complain a lot lately but I could really use a summer break right now. Unfortunately, the only summer break I'm having this week is those people in the movies I, and all the other bloggers joining this series, picked. And since I am who I am, I'm going with three films starring three crushes of mine. 

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (2005)

It follows four friends who spend their summer break away from each other but keep in touch by sending one another a magical pair of jeans that perfectly fits all of them. I would watch it every summer when I was younger, and I loved it. And this is when my crush on Blake Lively began. 

The Way, Way Back (2013)

It follows a young, introverted teen who goes on summer vacation with his mother and her abusive boyfriend, and soon starts working on a water park. I watched this one only for Sam Rockwell, but it's such an enjoyable and heartwarming film, and you can definitely enjoy it even if you don't have a crush on Rockwell. 

Us (2019)

It follows Adelaide as she returns with her family to the beachfront house where she grew up. It's not easy for her to be there because of what happened one summer many years before, and soon her worst fear becomes a reality as four masked people break into her house. I bet you were not expecting me to pick this film, am I right? Anyway, I absolutely love this film. Sure, it has its flaws, but it's still a great film. And the terrific performance by Lupita Nyong'o, criminally overlooked at the Oscars, makes it even more worth it.

15 comments :

  1. I can't believe I still haven't seen Traveling Pants. But I enjoyed The Way Way Back a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it when I was younger. I think you will too.

      Delete
  2. The only one I've seen is The Way, Way Back which I thought was a lovely piece of nostalgia full of appealing performances.

    I've heard of the others but Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants never struck me as a film for me. I've looked at Us a couple of times and considered watching but I'm not much for horror so at least for now I've put it off.

    Since there are so many options this week I decided to go with one drama, one comedy and one adventure for variety.

    Last Summer (1969)-Spending the summer unsupervised on Fire Island Sandy (Barbara Hershey), wealthy, spoiled and bored meets fellow teens Dan (Bruce Davison) and Peter (Richard Thomas) on the beach where the three quickly form a tight circle. One day they become acquainted with the awkward and naive Rhoda (Catherine Burns-Oscar nominated for Best Supporting Actress). At first friendly the trio close ranks and Rhoda becomes a figure of sport, teased and humiliated by the group. Distressing and disturbing story of maliciousness, sexual domination and cruelty with a pitch-black ending.

    The Flamingo Kid (1984)-Just out of high school Brooklyn teenager Jeffrey Willis (Matt Dillon) unhappy with his modest home, chances into a summer job at the posh Flamingo Club during summer break. Enticed by the heady atmosphere he is taken under the wing of smooth-talking club member Phil Brody (Richard Crenna) who extolls the pursue of the easy buck over the hard work of college much to Jeffrey’s father Arthur (Héctor Elizondo) chagrin. There are some late-summer hard lessons ahead for Jeff though.

    The River Wild (1994)-Troubled married couple Gail and Tom Hartman (Meryl Streep & David Strathairn) are taking their son, Roarke (Joseph Mazzello), on a birthday rafting trip down Idaho’s Salmon River during their summer vacation. Misfortune and danger come their way when they are taken hostage by fugitives Wade (Kevin Bacon) and Terry (John C. Reilly) who force Gail, a former raft guide, to help them attempt escape down the treacherous rapids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen any of your picks (as usual). I think I'll check out The Flamingo Kid as I like Dillon.

      Delete
  3. I never could get into The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants but I do like the other 2 picks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would probably feel the same if I were to rewatch it now.

      Delete
  4. Love that you went with Us! I'm a big fan of that one. I've not seen your other two picks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to use something lighter to be honest, but just couldn't come up with a third film so I went with Us.

      Delete
  5. Us is an inspired pick! I wouldn't have thought of it for this theme.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had many chances to watch Travelling Pants but, it just never took to me to truly watch this chick flick. I really enjoyed The Way, Way back and would like to see it again. Us is a movie I don't want to see because it freaks me out...just the trailers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Us is such a good pick! I haven't seen the other two but I've been meaning to watch The Way, Way Back for a while now. It feels like one of those movies you have to be in the right mind for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've watched the first two.

    Not much of a fan of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I was not the right age for it so I just found it too gooey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes sense. I was in my early teens when I watched it. I'm pretty sure I'd hate it if I were to rewatch it now.

      Delete