Catch Me If You Can (2002)

Genre

Biography | Crime | Drama

Director

Steven Spielberg

Country

USA

Cast

Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Hanks, Christopher Walken, Nathalie Baye, Amy Adams, Martin Sheen, James Brolin, Nancy Lenehan, Brian Howe, Frank John Hughes, Chris Ellis, Jennifer Garner, Ellen Pompeo, Elizabeth Banks, Kaitlin Doubleday

Storyline

The true story of Frank Abagnale Jr. (Leonardo DiCaprio) who, before his 19th birthday, successfully conned millions of dollars' worth of checks as a Pan Am pilot, doctor, and legal prosecutor.

Opinion

I didn't remember much from the first time I saw this - which happened more than 10 years ago -, only the arrest in France scene. Since I was very young back then, and I watched the whole film, I told myself "this has to be some great film, let's rewatch it". Best decision ever because "Catch Me If You Can" is such a brilliant, engaging and fun film.

This time Steven Spielberg brings to the screen the real story of American con artist Frank Abagnale Jr. and FBI agent Carl Hanratty's attempt to catch him. The film is only inspired by the real story though, so I don't know in how many ways it is true, and how many things have been changed in order to make a Hollywood worthy product. I know, however, that I couldn't help but wish for more. 

Also, the plot starts at the end and jumps back, and it is told so beautifully with so much energy and it's so well paced that it's impossible not to have fun - I actually found myself smiling constantly. And even though the film is more than two hours long, it never lingers and not a single scene is longer than it is supposed to be. The time really flies by.

Unlike its poor attempt in "1941", this time Spielberg successfully manages to demonstrate a great sense of comic timing. And I understand and highly appreciate his decision to make a film that isn't supposed to have a moral, but it's just entertaining.

John Williams provides the film with a fantastic score that fits the film to perfection, and along with the costumes and set design portrays the 1960s in a quite sophisticated way.

The best part arguably is the cast. First off Leonardo DiCaprio who gives an impressive performance as Frank Abagnale Jr. He is a born charmer and fits the role to perfection. Tom Hanks is also excellent in the role of FBI agent Hanratty - and likable as usual I'd add. But let's not forget about the supporting cast though, with Christopher Walken and Martin Sheen both providing solid support.

No comments :

Post a Comment