Thursday Movie Picks: Television Edition: Time Travel


Hello and welcome back to Thursday Movie Picks, the weekly series hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves where you share three movies to fit the theme of the week each Thursday.

It's time for another television week. A quite tough one, if I may add. I probably watch too many TV shows but time travel isn't really my thing. I still was able to pick three though. 

11.22.63 (2016)

Based on Stephen King's novel, it follows a high school teacher as he travels back in time to prevent the assassination of President Kennedy. If I have to be honest I didn't care much for the storyline, I only watched it because there's James Franco but I've found myself incredibly hooked on it. Too bad there were only 8 episodes.


Heroes (2006-2010)

People around the US starts to realise they have special abilities. That wouldn't be anything wrong with that if it wasn't for a pshyco that goes around killing these people to gain all the super powers. This isn't really about time travelling, but one of the characters, Hero, can play with time, like he can go back in time. He can also stop time. And cool stuff like that. I've seen only the first two seasons though, I quit after a few episodes of the third. It just wasn't good anymore. 

Legends of Tomorrow (2016- )

A time master goes back in time and assembles a team of heroes and villains to stop a threat that not only is threatening the Earth but the timeline as well. Hands down on the best DC Comics series around these days. Everything is terrible just like the other series, but this one is so fun I can't help but love it. 

12 comments :

  1. I didn't know Hulu did a series on 11.22.63. I've been meaning to read that book. I didn't think of Heroes either. I really liked the first season of that show, but damn did they fall on their face after that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only seen a few episodes of Heroes. I really enjoyed them, but I haven't gone back to it, yet. I should fix that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning on starting the whole thing again myself. Hoping that this time I'll manage to finish it.

      Delete
  3. These all sound intriguing but the only one I've seen even one episode of is Heroes which was on the wrong night for me so I never really had a chance to get into it. I'll have to see if I can track the others down.

    Two of mine were ones I loved as a kid and came to me as soon as I read the theme but the other is much more recent.

    Atlantis (2013-2015)-When marine scientist Jason (Jack Donnelly) is mysteriously transported from present day England to the legendary land of Atlantis via a deep sea accident he discovers a world of legend and myth ruled by King Minos and his scheming Queen, Pasiphae. At first he blunders about but shortly is befriended by Hercules (Mark Addy)-not yet the strong man of legend and Pythagoras a brilliant but poor youth. As time passes Jason encounters monsters and gods as well as the mysterious Oracle (Juliet Stevenson) who has expected Jason’s arrival and holds the secrets to his destiny and the fate of his father who vanished when Jack was young. A little silly and too contemporary at times but a fun show with an excellent cast.

    The Time Tunnel (1966)-“Two American scientists are lost in the swirling maze of past and future ages in their first experiments on America’s greatest and most secret project…”The Time Tunnel”! Tony Newman (James Darren) and Doug Phillips (Robert Colbert) now tumble helplessly towards a new fantastic adventure somewhere along the infinite corridors of time!”

    So began this short lived series of adventures through time where each week the pair landed to witness another piece of history (the sinking of the Titanic, the signing of the Magna Carta, etc.) overseen by a team scientists and military able to shift them through time periods but unable to return them to the present. Created by master of disaster Irwin Allen.

    It’s About Time (1966-1967)-Goofy comedy created by Brady Brunch mastermind Sherwood Schwartz concerning two astronauts traveling faster than the speed of light who end up in prehistoric times that is best described by its theme song sung in rhyme:

    “It’s about time, it’s about space,
    About two men in the strangest place.
    It’s about time, it’s about flight.
    Traveling faster than the speed of light.
    Here is their tale, of the brave crew.
    As through the barrier of time they flew.
    Past the fighting Minute Men.
    Past an armored knight.
    Past a Roman warrior.
    To this ancient site.

    It’s about caves, cavemen too.
    About a time when the Earth was new.
    Wait’ll they see what is in sight.
    Is it good luck or is it good night?
    It’s about two astronauts.
    It’s about their fate.
    It’s about a woman,
    And her prehistoric mate.
    And now, It’s About Time!”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen any of your picks but It's About Time's song sounds catchy.

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen any of your picks but I wonder why anyone would want to change time like not have Kennedy assassinated. Ok that sounds cruel but I remember my dad once telling my mom when she mentioned that it would be good to go back and stop Kennedy from being killed. My dad said "you nev know Ruth, he was a brilliant man but maybe he would have started WW3? There is a reason for everything." I always thought about that statement...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, and that's pretty much what happens after James Franco saves Kennedy. The future is a mess, there's destruction everywhere.

      Delete
  5. Most of these sound fun! It's true though, I feel like it's hard to find great shows about time travel, especially if we are talking newer shows (since I don't really watch tv that's older than the 2000s). -Mette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to watch some of those older shows, like Doctor Who, everyone says it's great.

      Delete
  6. I do want to see 11.22.63 only because its Stephen King and the premise sounds a little interesting.

    I totally forgot about Heroes.

    I have seen LoT, only about 2 episodes. Didn't like it at all...thought it was the silliest of the DC comic TV series...but maybe it improved in later episodes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, it still is silly but it's a silly fun.

      Delete