Thursday Movie Picks: Halloween Edition: The Dark/Night


I'm 24 years old and I'm scared to go downstairs after dark because I'm afraid someone or something could be lurking in there. Why am I telling you this embarrassing fact about myself? Because this week's theme for Wandering Through the Shelves' Thursday Movie Picks is the dark/night. Without any further ado, I leave you with my three creepy picks. 


The Babadook (2014)

Amelia (Essie Davis) is a widow trying to cope with her son's (Noah Wiseman) fear of monsters. One night, she has the brilliant idea to read him a book about a supernatural creature that, once someone is aware of its existence, torments that person. The kid is traumatized and believes that the Babadook is stalking their home. Soon Amelia too starts to believe the monster is haunting them. I don't remember much since I saw this years ago but I do remember that it scared the shit out of me. 

The Conjuring (2013)

Shortly after moving into their "new" dilapidated farmhouse in Rhode Island, the Perrons begins to experience paranormal events and asks for the help of Ed (Patrick Wilson) and Lorraine Warren (Vera Farmiga), two paranormal investigators that soon discover a witch is haunting the house and the area surrounding it. I watched this the other day and it was terrifying. And I don't even believe in paranormal. 

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014)

A lonesome vampire (Sheila Vand) stalks the most depraved denizens of an Iranian ghost-town. I'm not a fan of westerns and I'm not a fan of vampires, but I loved this movie, especially the stunning black and white cinematography. 

11 comments :

  1. I've only seen The Babadook specially because Essie Davis was the star, LOVE her in the Miss Fisher Mysteries and am so excited they just started filming a feature! Anyway while it didn't really scare me it was one of the better fright flicks I've seen and she was terrific in it. Don't see myself watching it again but it was a nice surprise.

    The second has a cast that I like so maybe someday but I'll never watch the last though it looks to be popular this week.

    I stayed away from horror since it's not my thing and picked three that are set after the sun goes down as their common thread.

    Night on Earth (1991)-Quintet of narrative tales set in cities around the world as a taxi driver in each city picks up a fare at the exact same moment and we share their lives and stories during the rides. A fable directed by Jim Jarmusch populated with quite a cast including Winona Ryder, Gena Rowlands, Rosie Perez and Armin Mueller-Stahl.

    The Night Before (1988)-Nerdy high school senior Winston Connelly (Keanu Reeves) regains consciousness late at night in an alley dressed in a tux. Problem is he has no idea how he ended up there, where exactly in L.A. he is nor where his car, wallet or more importantly his date (Lori Loughlin) are either! As he stumbles around he recalls getting sidetracked on the way to the prom and that now Tito the pimp is trying to kill him. It sounds like a drama but is played for comedy, goofy but harmless.

    After Hours (1985)-Oddity of poor snook Paul Hackett (Griffin Dunne), a button down computer processor who through a series of crossed wires and misunderstanding spends one surreal night in downtown Manhattan in a seemingly futile attempt to get back uptown. Dunne is perfect in the lead surrounded by a bunch of zany characters enacted by among others Teri Garr, Rosanna Arquette, Linda Fiorentino, Catherine O’Hara and Cheech & Chong. Nominated for the Palm d’Or with Martin Scorsese winning the Cannes director prize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen any of your picks but Night on Earth sounds so interesting. And I really like the cast. The Night Before I'll probably watch because of Keanu Reeves.

      Delete
  2. I have heard of the first 2 and they would scare the hell out of me. I remember when I was about 16 years old, my parents left for the weekend. It was a large home and it was around Halloween so there was nothing on TV but scary shows for the most part. I was watching a documentary on Sasquatch and a woman claimed she looked behind her and in the window staring back at her was sasquatch. Needless to say I pulled the drapes. I heard a lot of creaks etc... so i turned the TV up and ended watching The Love Boat. It was quite the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always like that! You see something scary/someone talking about scary things and all of a sudden everything in your house creaks.

      Delete
  3. I love all of your picks. The Babadook is an amazing movie. For my money, The Conjuring is easily the best of the James Wan horror flicks. And we match on that last one so you know I'm a fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only seen 3 of Wan horrors so far --the two Conjuring and Saw-- and I agree that this is easily the best.

      Delete
  4. The Babadook! Man, that film is awesome. I really want to see A Girl Walks Home at Night. I've heard so many cool things about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you're gonna love it. That film has a special place in my heart.

      Delete
  5. I love all three of your picks! The Conjuring is so perfect here because the parts that freaked me out the most were always the kids pointing to the dark corners and asking "do you see that?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen the first two, did not like either. The Conjuring is one of those movies that I'm always wondering what does everyone see that I don't.

    ReplyDelete