A Street Cat Named Bob (2016)

I really wanted to see A Street Cat Named Bob when it came out, but I also wanted to read the novel book first so I skipped it. It's been two years and I still haven't bought the book and I decided to watch the film anyway. 

As you may know, the film tells the true story of James Bowen (Luke Treadaway), a homeless drug addict busking on the streets of London. After his OD, he is set up in a rundown apartment block by a social worker (Joanne Froggatt). There, he finds a stray ginger cat who he names Bob and the two soon become inseparable as they go busking together and become somewhat of a London legend. 

Whether you are a cat lover or not, this is arguably a very touching and heartwarming story of hope, friendship, love and compassion that shows how animals are true friends, always by your side, even when you are at your lowest point in life. The problem about the film is that it feels off, and the story doesn't have the effect it's supposed to have. It isn't touching, it isn't engaging, it isn't enjoyable, mainly because the relationship between James and Bob is very charming at first but eventually and quickly wears off.

Also, the story is a bit sugar-coated. Although I haven't read the book, I checked some fact and turns out Betty, the girl who befriends James, was a recovering drug addict herself. In the film, she is the light at the end of the tunnel that helps James to get clean. I guess the filmmakers wanted to make the film more family friendly but can really a movie about a drug addict be family friendly? I don't think so, especially if you decide to include the harsh realities of the drug addict's situation, and A Street Cat Named Bob does that and it does a nice job too.

The acting, on the other hand, is solid. Although I kept thinking about Mr. Mercedes's Brady all the time —his twin Harry plays him in the series—, Luke Treadaway gives a convincing performance as James. His acting leaves something to be desired at times, but overall he's believable as the man who has lost everything and the conveys the struggles of an addict very well. The supporting cast is kinda weak though.

Sony Pictures Releasing
There's something about A Street Cat Named Bob that was beyond annoying for me, the camera work. I can get past the shaky camera, it's in line with the film's theme after all, but when it tries to show the world from the cat's perspective, I really hated those shots.

4 comments :

  1. Hmmm....I have been tempted to see this but I don't want to know that the cat dies or anything like that. I hope it ends well because when an animal dies, it affects me for days even though it is just a movie

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record, 'Streetcat' is based *not* on a 'novel' but on a true story; a true account of survival on the edge in London.
    Furthermore, a criticism that the film doesn't match the preceding book is rather empty. Show me a film that does: the medium is very different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a mistake I made. To err is human, you know. By the way, in the following paragraph, I say that it tells the true story of James.

      Also, The Hate U Give is pretty close to the source material. Just to mention one I recently read and saw.

      Delete