Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (2018)

Mamma Mia! holds a special place in my heart as it is the first and only movie I've seen on the big screen alone with my mom. It's also my favourite musical film because of how fun and entertaining it is each time I watch it. So of course, I was excited about Mammia Mia! Here We Go Again, an unnecessary sequel which, with all its flaws, managed to steal my heart. 

Set five years after the events of the first film, Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again follows Sophie (Amanda Seyfried) as she is preparing for the grand reopening of the Hotel Bella Donna. The film also takes us back to 1979, when Donna (Lily James), a young, independent woman, embarked on her journey, from her arrival to the Greek island of Kalokairi to meeting Sophie's three possible fathers, Harry Bright (Hugh Skinner), Bill Anderson (Josh Dylan), and Sam Carmicheal (Jeremy Irvine). 

The plot is pretty much the same of the first film only this time around it has so many more plot holes and inconsistencies, it's hard if not impossible to keep count of them all. It just makes absolutely no sense, as if Ol Parker, director and screenwriter, couldn't be bothered with watching the first film --according to the first film, Donna's friends, Tanya and Rosie, never met Donna's boyfriends. And Donna's mother, who is here played by Cher, was dead. Unless what Donna meant was that for her, because of the terrible relationship they had, she meant nothing and therefore she was dead. Also, we don't really get to know what happened back in 1979 as all we see here is basically what we were told by Donna in the first film.

The characters aren't that strong either. They lack characterization and development to the point that Donna, Tanya and Rosie have in the past the same haircut they have in the present so that we can tell who's who --there's a little coherence, you could say but how believable is that? Three women keeping the same haircut for what, 30 years? Also, young Harry, Bill and Sam look nothing like they looked in old photos in the first film. Where was the consistency there, uh?! Not to mention people changing eye colour over the years, or that Cher is only 3 years older than Meryl Streep and they play mother and daughter. But the people who did the casting is to be blamed for that. What's worse though is that most of them, including Donna's friends, Donna's boyfriends, and Donna's mother, have really nothing to do.

Universal Pictures
But you know what? I didn't care for any of that because, despite all the flaws, Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again is funny, and entertaining, one of those movies that put a smile on your face and makes you feel good. The movie ends and you are filled with joy, you feel like singing and dancing ABBA's songs all day long --damn, I was singing and dancing while watching the movie, on my seat.

The musical numbers aren't that original as most of them are copies of those from the first film, but they are fun to watch, the songs are beautiful and well performed, especially those from Cher and Lily James. And I loved that they included Fernando as it is one of my mom's favourite songs from ABBA.

Sure, Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again! won't be an award-winning musical but who cares, it does exactly what, in my book, a musical is supposed to do, it gives you a wonderful time.

6 comments :

  1. I'll watch it on TV though I dread of seeing Pierce Brosnan singing again. It sounds like he is trying to take a shit whenever he sings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will see this film because I love ABBA. I am not a big Meryl Streep fan and think she is very over-rated but I love Cher. It makes no sense that Cher would play the mom but at least she can sing unlike Streep who is ok but she is no great singer by a long shot. I hope Christine Baranski is given more to do and a song to sing. I hope Pierce Brosnan does not have a solo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great news for you then, Meryl Streep barely is in this one.

      Delete
  3. Omg, I paid such little attention to the original that I didn't realise it had such glaring plot holes! That's hilarious! I kind of loved the sequel...it was just too cheesy to resist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually liked this one a bit more than the first one :)

      Delete