Thursday Movie Picks: 2018 Releases


I feel like I say this every year, but 2018 has been a great year for movies. Some turned out to be a disappointment but some were very pleasant surprises. I'm going to pick some of the latter for this week's Thursday Movie Picks, the weekly series hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves, which consists in picking three to five movies to fit the week's theme. 

Without further ado, here are my picks

A Quiet Place

In order to survive, a family lives in solitude and in absolute silence as there is something that lucks in the shadows and waits for noises to attack. I have never heard about this movie before but everyone on Twitter was saying how good it was so I gave it a chance and I loved it. It has many flaws, but it's one of my favourites of the year. 

Searching

When his 16-year-old daughter (Michelle La) goes missing, widower David Kim (John Cho) joins forces with a detective (Debra Messing) in a desperate attempt to find his daughter before it's too late. I wouldn't even be aware of this film if it wasn't for Letterboxd, and it would be a shame because it is such a compelling thriller with social commentary.

Tully

Marlo (Charlize Theron) is a wife and mother of three who is going through post-partum depression and is exhausted of having to take care of the kids all the time, so when her brother (Mark Duplass) offers her a night nanny (Mackenzie Davis), she accepts and soon develops an unusual relationship with her. I wasn't expecting to like this as it was some sort of spiritual sequel to Young Adult, but it's really good especially Theron's performance. 

13 comments :

  1. Oh craps..I did next week's challenge..Hahahaaa so this week's challenge I will do next week. I have heard of all 3 but I have not seen these. They sound compelling but your first pick sounds scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed lol an yes, my first pick is scary.

      Delete
  2. 3 films I haven't seen yet two of them at this moment are going to be available in my never-ending DVR list so I will review them this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to watch A Quiet Place, but I'm hoping to get to it soon. The other two are good flicks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's really good! I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

      Delete
  4. Seen two of the three. I loved Quiet Place also but assumed others would pick so I went for something else. Searching was good also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely love your first 2 picks, they were in my Top 10 for the year. I'm still yet to see Tully...I really need to get on that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good! I hope you get to see it.

      Delete
  6. I've seen all three of these and enjoyed them all. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have yet to see any of your picks but they are on my to watch list.

    ReplyDelete