Thursday Movie Picks: The Cold


Welcome to another week of Thursday Movie Picks, the weekly series hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves that anyone can join, you just need to pick three to five movies —TV series on the last Thursday of each month— to fit the theme, which this week is the cold. So cover yourself, have a cup of tea handy, and keep reading to find out which movies I'm picking today.

Dead Snow (2009)

A group of medical students decides to spend their vacation in an isolated cabin in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by snow, and finds themselves confronted by Nazi zombies. I hated this film but it fits pretty well. Also, it has the best zombies ever as they climb trees, run and stab people. Okay, they are Nazi, but still, they are pretty cool for zombies.

Fargo (1996)

Jerry (William H. Macy) hires two men (Steve Buscemi and Peter Stormare) to kidnap his wife (Kristin Rudrüd) so he can get his rich father-in-law to pay the ransom. Unfortunately, those two men are two idiots, and as if that wasn't enough there is also a persistent police officer (Frances McDormand) investigating. This is the first film that came to my mind because there's snow everywhere, it's cold, and I don't envy McDormand at all! 

Wind River (2017)

While tracking down a lion, Cory Lambert (Jeremy Renner) discovers the frozen body of a young Native American woman (Kelsey Asbille), a rookie FBI agent (Elizabeth Olsen) is set to investigate the murder, and he joins her to unravel the mystery. One of the most powerful movies on 2017, snubbed because Weinstein produced it. 

14 comments :

  1. Wind River is getting so much deserved love today! Such an underrated movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the exception of Dead Snow which I haven't seen, the rest are spot-on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your second two picks but the first sounds eminently skippable. Wind River seems to be the title of the week and its a worthy one. I wasn't too sure about it going in but it really engaged my interest right off the bat and the lead pair were very fine indeed. While Frances McDormand is dazzling in Fargo she's not the totality of the film's pleasures. The supporting cast all contribute a great deal and it has a clever screenplay as well.

    I hate the cold but at least I was able to come up with three snow covered ones pretty easily.

    The Call of the Wild (1935)-Using the Jack London story of a man, his dog and a lot of snow as its loose template this is a rather revised version of Jack Thornton (Clark Gable) his part wolf sled dog Buck, and his partner Shorty Hoolihan (Jack Oakie) as they brave the elements in their quest for fortune, adventure and at least for Thornton romance along the way in the guise of Claire (Loretta Young). Gable and Young had an affair during the making of the film which resulted in a daughter who Young (after vanishing to Europe for a year) passed off as her “adopted” child for the rest of her life.

    Mrs. Mike (1949)-Young Boston born Kathy O'Fallon (Evelyn Keyes) meets Canadian Mountie Mike Flannigan (Dick Powell) while visiting her uncle in Alberta, Canada. Falling for him and marrying quickly they head to his new posting in the Yukon where they face many hardships along with the biting cold as Kathy struggles to adjust. Based on Kathy’s memoirs of life in the Great White North.

    The Thing from Another World (1951)-Scientists at an Arctic research station discover a spacecraft buried in the ice. Upon closer examination, they discover the frozen pilot. All hell breaks loose when they take him back to their station and he is accidentally thawed out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't recommend Wind River enough. It deserves the love it got this week.

      I haven't seen any of your picks, but I'm guessing your last pick is the original The Thing. I wasn't fan of Carpenter's movie but I think I'll give this one a chance.

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen your first pick but love your second and third! I also went with Wind River this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first is bad, like really bad. But it's kinda fun.

      Delete
  5. Oh craps...that’s why it was snubbed. I also picked Wind River as did just about everyone else and although I wouldn’t have wanted that slime bucket to win, the others who worked on the film should not have been caught in the damage. Thankfully I missed Dead Snow but I love Fargo and almost chose it but I believe I picked it before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot tell you how much that pissed me off. It's just not fair to every other single person who worked on the film.

      Delete
  6. I didn't think Dead Snow was going to make an appearance this week unless I picked it, which I almost did. Great job by you. I had a blast with that one. I also didn't realize how popular Wind River would be, but I'm glad it is. And of course, Fargo is a classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was kinda disappointed when I saw your picks and Dead Snow wasn't one of them.

      Delete
  7. The only one I haven't seen is Dead Snow, which I do want to see since it has generally positive reviews.

    ReplyDelete