Isn't It Romantic (2019)

While I don't hate them as much as Natalie does, I'm not a big fan of romantic comedies. And truth to be told, I'm not the biggest fan of Rebel Wilson either. That said, I still decided to give Isn't It Romantic a chance because I'm a sucker for Netflix originals and the Hemsworth genes are too good to be ignored. 

The story of this one follows Natalie (Rebel Wilson), a young woman whose dream of living the perfect romance was shattered when she was just a girl as her mother (Jennifer Saunders) explained to her that there's no such a thing as a happy ending for girls that look like her. She is now an architect who lacks confidence and self-esteem and hates romantic comedies. One night she is mugged on the subway, she hits her head and wakes up the next morning only to find herself trapped into a romantic comedy.

Although it doesn't sound particularly smart, the plot to Isn't It Romantic is surprisingly clever, fun and engaging and makes fun of every single romantic comedy cliché you can think of, from the kiss under the rain to the gay friend who apparently doesn't have anything better to do other than being the obviously gay friend dispensing advice and popping out of nowhere. It eventually falls for some of the clichés it makes fun of and the ending is predictable and cheesy, but it works. In addition, unlike last year's I Feel Pretty, it's a story that successfully delivers its message of self-confidence and self-love, that you should be the one falling in love with yourself before anyone else.

The characters don't have a lot of depth nor development and some of them are quite the cliché, but they are funny —I loved Donnie, the gay friend— and sympathetic and the lead, Natalie, is probably the most relatable character I've seen in a romantic comedy as she is a smart, ambitious young woman as well as the biggest cynic when it comes to love.

Netflix
Rebel Wilson does a great job as Natalie. She gives a charming and funny performance and effortlessly carries the film on her shoulders. She is such a delight, I can't think of anyone else for this role. Adam DeVine gives a nice performance as Natalie's best friend Josh who has a crush on her, and his chemistry with Wilson is amazing. As for Liam Hemsworth, he does a wonderful job at being charming, and handsome and sexy as Blake, a rich client of Natalie's who falls for out heroine. Brandon Scott Jones kind of steals the show though as he gives a hilarious performance as Donnie.

Ultimately, Isn't It Romantic is the romantic comedy for those who, like me, don't like romantic comedies. It's a lighthearted, funny movie with a nice message, great acting, a clichéd yet good soundtrack, and some actually enjoyable musical numbers. A movie that is very likely to put a big smile on your face.

9 comments :

  1. I loved that they didn't replace Rebel with some skinny actress for the fantasy world, these movies always do that and it's so awful. I loved Beryy Gilpin as her friend, it was so cool that the movie called out romantic comedies as always putting women against each other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do they even do that? It's one of the things that annoys me the most about rom-coms

      Delete
  2. I'm really not a fan of Rebel and that's the only thing stopping me from seeing it at this point, but I do think I'll check it out once it hits DVD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan of her either but she is so fun and charming in here.

      Delete
  3. I've heard better things about this movie than I ever expected to. I may try to check it out this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm never going to be able to hear the word 'beguiling' without laughing after seeing this movie. It was missing a certain spark for me but I loved how it made fun of typical romcoms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll never forget that word, it's so beguiling haha

      Delete
  5. I actually want to see this even though I am not one for the typical romance nor am I a fan of Rebel Wilson but it looks better than the average one sees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'd enjoy this. It's so fun and makes fun of all the rom-coms clichés so well

      Delete