Thursday Movie Picks: Movies You Thought You'd Hate But Ended Up Enjoying


Just like there are movies that we expect to be good but end up disappointing us, there also are movies we expect to be bad but we end up enjoying. Today we are focusing on the latter for Wandering Through the ShelvesThursday Movie Picks, and I'm doing some sort of theme within theme. 

Isn't It Romantic (2019)

The story follows Natalie (Rebel Wilson), a young woman who hates romantic comedies. One night, she is mugged on the subway, hits her head and when wakes up the next morning only to find herself stuck in a clichéd romantic comedy. I didn't know anything about the plot prior to watching this and I was expecting another clichéd and predictable romantic comedy, but I ended up really enjoying the twist it puts on the genre, how it makes fun of clichés, and Rebel Wilson is fantastic. 

Paddleton (2019)

It follows Andy (Ray Romano) and his neighbour and friend Michael (Mark Duplass). When Michael learns he has terminal cancer, he asks Andy to help him die. I was expecting another terrible Netflix original and I skipped it. Then I reconsidered my decision and gave it a chance, and I'm glad I did because it was such a beautiful and touching story of a friendship. 

Triple Frontier (2019)

It follows five Special Forces friends as they reunite in South America to rob a drug lord. I watched this entirely for the (hot) cast. I had no idea what the movie was about and yet I was expecting to hate it. Probably because Ben Affleck is in it. Anyways, it turned out to be such an entertaining and enjoyable heist movie. 

14 comments :

  1. My husband watched Paddleton and said the same thing. Once I've finished my queue goal, I think I'll give it a watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please, it is such a heartwarming film.

      Delete
  2. I wanted to love Isn't it Romantic, but it is just ok. For me it lacks charm. I sort of like the story better when she was just in the real world.

    Triple Frontier - I sort of think this is going to be bad, which is why I haven't seen it yet, waiting to see more reviews come up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Triple Frontier lacks action in the second half and the characters leave something to be desired but it's so entertaining and the chemistry the actors share is incredible.

      Delete
  3. Paddleton sounds really interesting, especially if it has Ray Romano in it!

    Here’s my Thursday Movie Picks!

    Ronyell @ The Surreal Movies and TV Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should check it out, it was such a pleasant surprise!

      Delete
  4. Haven't seen any of these just yet. I was not looking forward to Isn't it Romantic, but this is the second glowing endorsement I have seen in as many days. This could fit the category for me whenever I get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it deserves all the praise. It's a pretty good rom-com.

      Delete
  5. I saw Triple Frontier last night! I didn't like the second half as much, although the first half was amazing! Can't complain about the cast though :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the second half, but I guess it's because I'm not a huge fan of action and that part didn't have as much action as it should have had.

      Delete
  6. I'm now a little more excited to watch Triple Frontier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know the first and the third film but have not seen them. I thought you chose Paddington until I read your synopsis and realized I read the title wrong. This sounds like a nice movie and worth a watch but I have no Netflix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, everyone reads Paddington instead and thinks the person misspelled it haha

      Delete