Thursday Movie Picks: Television Edition: High School


Welcome to another Thursday Movie Picks, the weekly series hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves that consists of picking three films to fit the week's theme. 

It's the last Thursday of the month and that means it's time for another television edition TMP. The theme is high school and the struggle to pick three shows was real because I've seen so many, I didn't know which to choose.

The O.C. (2003-2007)

It follows the dramas of a group of (for the most) rich high school kids in Orange County, California. This is one of the first shows I watched and I loved it. I can't believe it has been 10 years since the final season. 

One Tree Hill (2003-2012)

It follows the rivalry both on the basketball court and in the heart of their friends of two half-brothers living in Tree Hill, North Carolina. I started watching this at season 3 I believe, but it was so good I checked out the first seasons as well. I haven't seen the last couple of seasons though.

Pretty Little Liars (2010-2017)

When the body of their missing friend is found, four high school girls must team up against A, a mysterious/anonymous figure who threatens to expose their deepest secrets. At the beginning it was great, then it all became too ridiculous and boring. I even stopped watching it at season 6 but then restarted it because they said season 7 would be the last. And it was. And it also was a disappointment. 

7 comments :

  1. I never watched these shows but I did see a few random episodes of each. Strangely enough, my mom really liked The O.C lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whaaat?! I bet she had a crush on Peter Gallagher

      Delete
  2. Oy, I'm doing lousy this week with the series. I've heard of all three but I'm pretty positive I never saw a single episode of any of them! I do remember The O.C. and One Tree Hill being IT for a while with some of my employees but I was working a staggered schedule of days and nights at the time and it was just too difficult to follow them weekly.

    Since high school is a popular setting it's impossible to see all the shows set there but I did follow these three regularly.

    Skins (2007-2013)-British series about a group of teens in Bristol going through what is known there as sixth form which in the US would be high school. Controversial when it was showing for its graphic depictions of sexuality, drug abuse, bullying and many other issues with more than its share of nudity. Well-acted but grim. Another element of its notoriety was the casting in one of the leads of Nicolas Hoult who at the time was most well known as the youngster in About a Boy.

    My So-Called Life (1994)-Regrettably short lived series that chronicled the angst filled high school life of teenager Angela Chase (Claire Danes) as she suffers the agonies of first love with the handsome but vague Jordan Catalano (Jared Leto), tests her boundaries with new friend, wild child Rayanne Graff (A.J. Langer), redefines her friendship with childhood bestie Sharon Cherski (Devon Odessa), seeks to help and protect the abused Rickie Vasquez (Wilson Cruz) while next door neighbor the brilliant but nerdy Brian Krakow (Devon Gummersall) yearns for her. At home she watches as her seemingly happily married parents Graham and Patty’s (Tom Irwin & Bess Armstrong) relationship begins to fray. Outstanding on every level.

    Room 222 (1969-1974)-Pete Dixon (Lloyd Haines) is a popular young history teacher at Los Angeles’s Walt Whitman High School. Along with guidance counselor Liz McIntyre (Denise Nicholas), amiable Principal Seymour Kaufman (Michael Constantine) and eager if occasionally bumbling student teacher (over time English teacher) Alice Johnson (Karen Valentine) they deal with the issues of the students, parents and the establishment in the changing face of education in the 70’s. Excellent Emmy winning series, one of the first to honestly portray multiracial classrooms and teaching staffs, looks at a multitude of problems including early marriage, corporate irresponsibility, freedom of speech, senility, the effects of unexpected death and more with many future stars, among them Bruno Kirby, Cindy Williams, Teri Garr, Jamie Farr, Rob Reiner, Richard Dreyfuss, Kurt Russell, and Mark Hamill, passing through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i did not watch any of these not even the O.C. with unibrow Peter Gallagher:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be honest. I never watched an episode of any of these because the commercials for all of them made my eyes roll uncontrollably. I stayed far, far away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That theme song haunted my teen years - but still so catchy. Never bothered with the 4th season, couldn't stick it out. But Seth was always the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen all three but not all episodes. One Tree Hill, just a couple from the first season, just couldn't get into it. Pretty Little Liars is quite addictive, but yeah it got quite ridiculous so I stopped either on the 3rd or 4th season and just have not continued with it.

    ReplyDelete