Bambi (1942)

Disney movies were pretty much all I watched as a kid but Bambi never was one of my favourites which is weird considering love animals since I can remember. To be honest, I'm not even sure if I ever watched the entire film before because other than Bambi's mother dying, I could remember nothing. 

Or maybe it's because this film is pretty plotless. This young deer gets his mother killed by a hunter, he befriends other animals, he learns the skills needed to survive and finds love. But it's not all roses, hunters come back and he must save the other deers. 

I usually wouldn't complain about a lack of plot, especially in a movie like Bambi. I mean, it deals with plenty of important topics such as death, friendship, love and growing-up/what it means to be an adult. This time, however, I really felt the lack of a story. A baby deer growing up just wasn't enough for me. It might be cute at first, but then it gets boring. 


RKO Radio Pictures
Also, I didn't find the film neither charming, inventive or emotional. This is probably just me, but I didn't connect with the story or characters. There's plenty of action and some dramatic tension but I didn't feel anything. I didn't cry like most people do (or say they do).

The characters are cute and lovable, sure, but they aren't that charming to be remembered. I really liked the rabbit and the polecat but I can barely remember their names. 

On the upper hand, there's the animation. It looks aged (it's 75-year-old, after all) but it's still beautiful, especially the scenery, and probably the best thing about Bambi.

1 comment :

  1. Bambi is pretty plotless now that I think about it. I haven't seen this film in ages. I remember arguing with other kids over whether Flower was a boy or a girl. That's it. lol

    ReplyDelete