Girl Week 2017: Women Directed by Women


It's the last day of Girl Week 2017 and I have to admit it kinda makes me sad. I really enjoyed talking about ladies for the entire week, whether I was reviewing a film or picking a movie/character/performance. What I liked the most though was reading what the others who joined and hosted (Dell on Movies) the blogathon wrote.

I was planning on writing four posts but I've barely been at home in the past few days. The thing is weather has been incredibly good lately (it feels like Spring) and I've been out enjoying it. Today is raining like there's no tomorrow (I guess I was meant to write this post), so with a hot cup of tea by my side, here I am writing about movies directed and led by women. Without further ado, here are some I love

Bend It Like Beckham (2002)

Redbus Film Distribution
Directed by Gurinder Chadha, it stars Parminder Nagra as Jess, a teenage girl whose only passion is football and dreams of becoming a great footballer like David Beckham. She joins a team (her family of course doesn't approve), befriends Jules, played by Keira Knightly, and they both fall in love with their handsome coach Joe. This puts both their friendship and career at stake but eventually friendship gets the best. It's not a great film but I love it since I was a child.

Boys Don't Cry (1999)

Fox Searchlight Pictures
Directed by Kimberly Peirce, it stars Hilary Swank as Brandon, a female who identifies as a man. He's doing great at life, he even starts dating a girl and they fall in love, but when her friends discover his secret, Brandon's life is ripped apart. It's very hard to sit through, but it's one of the most powerful films I've ever seen. It's a heartbreaking, eye-opening film about transgender people and Hilary Swank gives a terrific performance. 

Bridget Jones's Diary (2001)

Miramax Films, Universal Pictures
Directed by Sharon Maguire, it stars Renée Zellweger as Bridget Jones, a 32-year-old woman who is determined to improve herself and find the right man. Only she finds two and she doesn't know which one to pick. It's a corny chick flick but it's hilarious. Renée Zellweger/Bridget is such a charmer, so funny, clumsy, genuine and sweet, it's impossible to not like her.

Caramel (2007)

Les Films des Tournelles & City Films Lebanon Roissy Films
Directed by Nadine Labaki, it revolves around a group of women struggling with men, sexuality, love and ageing. It's a touching portrait of the life for women in Lebanon. It's the kind of film that makes you smile, laugh and cry, and leaves you speechless afterwards. A beautifully shot gem of foreign cinema. 

Frida (2002)

Miramax Films
Directed by Julie Taymor, it stars Salma Hayek as Frida Khalo, the Mexican painter who channelled the pain of an injury and her tormented relationship with another painter into her work. Frida though was more than a painter, she was an interesting woman and that's exactly what this film gives us. 

Mustang (2015)

Ad Vitam
Directed by Deniz Gamze Ergüven, it follows five sisters living in a village in northern Turkey. One day they are seen playing innocently with some boys, this sets off a scandal and they are imprisoned in their home and marriages start being arranged. It's a wonderful hymn to freedom that explores adolescence while addressing some issues in Turkish society. The performances are quite stunning too.

I hope you enjoyed this huge celebration of women as much as I did (I hope you enjoyed reading my posts too). Thank you, Dell, for hosting it again, I really had a blast. 

2 comments :

  1. I have absolutely enjoyed reading all of your entry and I'm grateful for them. Thanks so much.

    Of these particular movies, I've seen all except Bend It Like Beckham and Caramel. Not sure why I haven't seen the first. I keep meaning to. Haven't heard of Caramel before, but it sounds really interesting. Not sure I've seen any Lebanese movies.

    Boys Don't Cry, Frida and Mustang are all outstanding films for various reasons. Not a big fan of BJD, but it was okay.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! And again, thank you for hosting it.

      Delete